back to article Tesla employee: I was fired after sharing video of self-driving car crash

Tesla reportedly fired an employee after he uploaded videos to YouTube critiquing the automaker's autonomous driving software. John Bernal, an ex-Tesla operator working on the Autopilot platform, runs a YouTube channel under the username AI Addict. He has filmed and shared several videos demonstrating the capabilities of Tesla …

1. HildyJ Silver badge
    Boffin

Coincidence?

After the article's part about Tesla's driving AI problems, we have a part about GPT-3's new coding AI.

How long will it be before we see an article about GPT-3's AI problems?

At least the middle part of the article, about the FTC ordering the deletion of AI training data is a small but extremely narrow ray of hope.

1. An_Old_Dog Bronze badge
      Holmes

Deleting all the data and AI models as ordered

"Uh, yes, we deleted all the data and AI models you told us to, Mr. FTC commissioner. Can you prove that we didn't?". - -J.M. Brown, ex-CEO of disbanded company Evil, Inc., now CEO of new company, EvilPhoenix, Inc.

2. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Coincidence?

How long will it be before we see an article about GPT-3's AI problems?

Haven't we already? I guess I can't remember for sure but I'd be willing to bet the Reg had an article about when GPT-3 was testing responses to people regarding mental health issues, and advised some to commit suicide!

3. Aleph0

Destroy your AI models, and delete the data

Good. Now some authority with a spine should do the same to Clearview for its facial recognition model trained with dodgily-obtained data (photos scraped from social media). Though since they're pimping that service to law enforcement bodies around the world I won't hold my breath for it actually happening...

4. TRT Silver badge

Hi, yeah... I have a problem... it just crashed fatally. Which product? Oh yeah, sorry GPT-3.

2. Cederic Silver badge

be silly, get sacked

Publicly posting about flaws in your employer's product is frankly stupid.

If it's causing a public health risk, use whistleblower mechanisms. If it's not, stay quiet. Or get sacked.

No sympathy here.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Go

Re: be silly, get sacked

Yeah I have to agree. Running a Youtube channel about your company's products without your company's permission is always going to end one way. Especially when you're showing up the company's failures!

Idiot...

2. My-Handle Silver badge

From a purely legal standpoint, most employment contracts usually have terms in them about not acting against company interests (inside or outside of work hours). Examples can include moonlighting for a competitor or, just off the top of my head you understand, using a public platform to bag out the company that employs you.

3. Josh 14

This is exactly what I've been thinking of this idiocy, the whole time I've been seeing news reports about this popping up this past week.

Idiot posts videos of what he's being paid to do. Most employers I've worked for would have canned him just for posting video taken on company time, much less ones that are defamatory or actually derogatory to the employer.

Working for a tech industry company, I can't imagine that they didn't have some sort of intellectual property statement in the employment contract...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

my, my - such good capitalists you are. There is the small detail here that human life could be at risk here, but hey, there's an employment contract so don't say a word.....

Perhaps you might feel different if, say, the errant Telsa ran over a member of your immediate family?

in any case the fellow does not seem overly bitter about being dismissed and has probably calculated that the exposure he is getting for example, here, could pay his way in the future without such employment contracts to watch out for....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Starts with a C and ends with a T

CULT

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Starts with a C and ends with a T

ContracT?

4. Mayday
    Mushroom

Presumably

I, or those like me, would get disciplined/sacked/sued if I posted online about things which my company may have ballsed up.

Particularly if it were on YouTube and directly related to a term which would be commonly searched for and subsequently exposing the business.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022