back to article China's internet regulator squeezes famously freewheeling Reddit-alike

China's internet regulator, the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC), has taken unusually strong action against a social network that has long been considered a thorn in the side of the nation's elites. The site in question is Douban: a Reddit-like affair that started life as a forum to discuss books, music, and film. In …

1. The Dogs Meevonks

Is it just me....

Or do China's attempts to control the narrative... seem almost weak when compared to what's going on in Russia right now... and what is being attempted in the good ole US of A

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Is it just me....

Go ask Ma what he thinks about weak.

And what exactly is "being attempted" in the USA ?

Justice ?

You have a problem with that ?

1. The Dogs Meevonks

Re: Is it just me....

"And what exactly is "being attempted" in the USA "

Insurrection, voter suppression, fascist and ant-democratic propaganda pushed via an entire privately controlled media network.

Should I go on?

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Gimp

a "work supervision team" has therefore been stationed at Douban "to urge rectification."

Pray that I do not modify the deal further . . .

3. Youngone Silver badge

Meh

I tried to watch The Wandering Earth but I just couldn't suspend my disbelief for long enough to accept that moving the Earth would be in any way a solution to the problem of the sun turning into a red giant. I thought it was pretty terrible, but that may be at least partly a cultural thing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022