back to article Ukraine uses Clearview AI facial-recognition technology

The Ukrainian government is using facial recognition technology from startup Clearview AI to help them identify the dead, reveal Russian assailants, and combat misinformation from the Russian government and its allies. Reuters reported yesterday that the country's Ministry of Defense began using Clearview's search engine for …

1. Filippo Silver badge

"once you introduce these systems and the associated databases to a war zone, you have no control over how it will be used and misused."

True, but the same goes for machine guns. Generally speaking, I think that active warzones are one of the few situations where it's actually okay for security and convenience to take precedence over privacy.

I mean, "can be ethically used in an actual shooting war" is hardly something you'd put in a brochure. I think we can say it and not feel like we're betraying the cause of privacy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed

Any advantage is good right now.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Agreed

"Any advantage is good right now."

That's what IBM said when tabulating people's ethnicity during World War One.

2. martinusher Silver badge

Wishful Thinking

>Ton-That emphasized that the controversial technology shouldn't be regarded as the sole source of identification or used in ways that violate the Geneva Conventions

War has a knack of burring lines so I think I'll file this under "Wishful Thinking". Its also a golden opportunity to test the technology 'in the field', as it were, so expect it to be 'coming to an organization near you' in the near future. (Oh, that's OK, we'll just pass a law.....)

Does anyone actually study history these days?

1. NapTime ForTruth

Re: Wishful Thinking

"Does anyone actually study history these days?"

Yes. History is a negative optimizing filter, the stone against which they sharpen their long knives.

2. HildyJ Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Wishful Thinking

I agree with your 'wishful thinking' comment on war blurring the lines.

But war has nothing on capitalism or law enforcement or security services when it comes to blurring lines. And as for testing in the field, the technology is already live and in use around the world. The horse has left the barn.

3. Eclectic Man Silver badge
    Unhappy

Mistaken identity

I pity anyone wrongly identified as a Russian spy or operative in Ukraine. I suspect that proving one's innocence might be very difficult.

Actually I pity anyone in Ukraine right now. The Ukrainians are fighting for their lives. Who wants to live in Putin's Russia after tasting freedom? I doubt Putin wants to 'liberate' Ukraine's LGBT citizens, political parties, jews etc. in any meaningful way. And I pity the Russian conscripts sent to fight a war they probably didn't want and most of whom probably do not want to fight in, particularly with the evident failures of supplies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022