back to article Alleged REvil suspect extradited on ransomware spree charges

A Ukrainian national alleged to be a member of the REvil ransomware gang has been extradited to the US and charged with multiple criminal offences. Yaroslav Vasinskyi, 22, was charged in the US District of Northern Texas with carrying out ransomware attacks against 10 US-based organisations. The indictment [PDF] was unsealed …

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

Maybe the Ukrainian suspect can get a lenient sentence if he agrees to use his skills against Russia as part of the cyber warfare?

2. Clausewitz 4.0
    Devil

Illegal tactics and due process

Lucky in other countries, the tactics used by USA prosecutors/FBI/NSA are largely considered illegal, and would undermine due process. Actually huge compensations are more likely.

Imagine a NSA confidential program being exposed to the public.

@mark l 2 - I doubt any sane Russian hacker with some intelligence knowledge would use his skills to support USA/NSA. From what I have seem from foreigners, it is either his own country or Russia. Never USA.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Illegal tactics and due process

"the tactics used by USA prosecutors/FBI/NSA are largely considered illegal"

Citation please ?

I know a few people who, brainwashed by the contant stream of police/FBI series pumped into their TVs on a weekly basis, actually believe that they cannot be arrested unless they have heard their rights read to them.

Precision : I live in France. I'm not aware that the French police have that requirement.

Another point : the number of people who I have discussions with who genuinely believe that they have the right to one phone call during the interrogation process.

What I mean to say is that the entire world (well, in places where people have the luxury of television and the time to watch it) are likely quite attuned to the US criminal process. Of course, the people I talk to are generally not people who have been arrested, so the sample size is not entirely representative of the global population.

Finally, this guy was extradited to the US. I do believe that the tactics used will be perfectly fine in a US court.

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

It seems like a safe bet that those Russian suspects won't be extradited to Western countries any time soon

It seems also a safe bet that these guys were arrested just before the Ukraine invasion to recruit them to enhance Russian cyberwar capabilities.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like