back to article Microsoft introduces pay-as-you-go tier for Power Apps

Microsoft is adding a pay-as-you-go tier for users of its low-code Power Apps platform, linking usage to an Azure subscription. However, this comes at a cost compared to pre-paid plans. The change means that rather than having to plan in advance and procure resources ahead of time, customers only pay for what they actually use …

1. jake Silver badge

No, thank you.

I remember the service bureau days, and have absolutely no intention of returning to that 'orrible model. I have my own computers, and I know how to use them. Why would I want to down-grade to somebody else's computers that I have zero control over?

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"The change means that [..] customers only pay for what they actually use"

No. What it actually means is that customers have no more control over their budget.

But hey, no problem. The board will find out soon enough.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Honestly, no

Learning PowerApps and hiring experts in it seems like absolute death. Opening yourself up to endless licence negotiations, special discounts, and other conversations that will distract you from real value.

4. David G from Visalia

I think this is a good move for Microsoft

In a larger organization, say 5000 employees, adding a single Power App to the tenant would up the annual bill by $300,000. Zero people are going to go to their management and say "could we please spend an extra $300,000 this year to try it out and see if Power Apps are any good?" This eliminates that hurdle.

Now, I'm not sure Power Apps are actually any good; Microsoft's programmers are mediocre at best, and their management is all about the next new thing instead of high quality and customer satisfaction. But this move does make it possible for people to try out the new thing, whether it plays out in their favor or not.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft and "Low Code" are an oxymoron if I've ever heard one. The amount of extra CRUD required to get a Microsoft version of something running compared to any other major platform is mind boggling...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like