back to article Microsoft squashes OneDrive bug that caused files to linger after PC wipe

Lurking within this month's Patch Tuesday batch of updates is a fix for a Windows issue in which locally synchronized OneDrive data was not always deleted during a reset. The bug, which turned up in the Windows release health dashboard in February, is an ironic one, considering the disastrous October 2018 roll out of Windows …

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Pint

"the disastrous October 2018 roll out of Windows 10, which infamously gifted users with extra disk space by quietly wiping their data."

The BOFH would be proud... a virtual beer to the OneDrive team for finally following in the great one's footsteps...

1. JassMan
      Coat

The bug, which turned up in the Windows release health dashboard in February, is an ironic one, considering the disastrous October 2018 roll out of Windows 10, which infamously gave users extra disk space by quietly wiping their data.

That's no bug - it is a welcome feature. If the evil empire has just wiped your data, I think you would be extremely grateful to have a way to recover it.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Reluctantly, I confess that I find OneDrive to be generally quite good. That is, except for the once every ~18 months when it goes completely mental and refuses to sync on one of my machines (infinite loop with never-ending countdown of updates from several hundred thousand files), requiring some seriously low-level slapping about to fix. As it stands, considering I have over a terabyte stored on it, I can just about put up with that. Grudgingly.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

It really annoys me that you can not force a file to sync, it makes you wait until it decides to sync and, by that time, the file may already have been edited by someone else and OneDrive does not merge changes (and probably for the best, by the way) but instead creates a new file and you only find that out when someone remarks your changes are missing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like