back to article VMware offers hardware compatibility list for home labs

Vendors' hardware compatibility lists detail the kit on which they guarantee their software will work at useful levels of performance. But what if you can't afford that kit for a home lab or other non-production project? Or have some hardware you think might do the job at work? VMware is now offering builders of such rigs a …

1. chuBb.
    Pint

Im confused

The article seems fine, but the article pic confuses me, what is the "techy" doing with a single multi meter probe and a scope probe, you wouldn't typically dual wield them, especially as you would almost be certainly looking away at either the multi meter or the scope so likely to slip with one of the probes and short something....

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Re: Im confused

So long as you roll at disadvantage for one of them, I don't really see the problem ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Im confused

Measuring the drop.

Assuming the picture isn't for show (which it seems to be), then there's probably a 3rd probe somewhere as well. Problem is, I'm not sure this is the same "home lab" context when you roll in ESXi unless you're trying to exploit some part of hardware pass through. I know it's a thing, but it's most certainly NOT the common usage of the term home lab.

"VMware also offers a cut of ESXi that runs on a single Raspberry Pi 4"

Don't by a RPi for that. ESXi requires the minimum of a 4GB version for a sane hassle free experience (realistically the 8GB version you'll need) and at that price you can get a second hand x86 that can handle 16GB of RAM for equal or less price that's fully functional.

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Just a stock image

It's just a generic pic to indicate someone tinkering with kit at home. I've changed the pic.

C.

1. chuBb.

Re: Just a stock image

Awwwwww I enjoyed the puzzle of wtf they were doing lol ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like