back to article PsiQuantum envisions a datacenter-sized quantum computer

Startup PsiQuantum has a rough vision of what its one-million-qubit quantum computer could look like. "It's going to look like a big concrete building with a whole bunch of modules," Pete Shadbolt, chief scientific officer, told The Register. "Inside those modules, a bunch of silicon chips, half photonic, half electronic, and …

1. Little Mouse Silver badge
    Coat

You'd think a "quantum" computer would be really really small.

1. DJO Silver badge

The smaller an entity is, the larger the detector required. Just look at the detectors at CERN, building sized detectors just to see tiny stuff.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Windows

"you need a quantum interconnect that can send qubits from one chip to the other chip"

Hang on, isn't a quantum computer base on entanglement ? Why "send" qubits anywhere ?

The more I read about this, the less I understand.

1. Tom 7 Silver badge

Re: "you need a quantum interconnect that can send qubits from one chip to the other chip"

You need to forward the entanglement to the other 'cpu' chips. That way you can have a much larger quantum computer.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

If it's photonics there'll be mirrors. Best not to install smoke detectors.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Our qubits undergo photonic loss, they fall out of the waveguide"

Typical!

It'll be a Friday afternoon panic job that needs to be done urgently and it'll be muggings here scrabbling about on the floor looking for a sodding missing photon

And all your spares are going to be metric when you need an imperial one...

Does anyone have a blue 5/8th octagonal photon to spare?

4. Il'Geller

This AI-kind of qubit is commonly referred to as "doubt". For example, in the sentence "Sarah laughs." only one phrase and its weight is 1: no doubt. And in the sentence "Sara, Angelica and Maria laughs" there are three phrases with weights 0.(3), and there is room for doubt: what if Maria is crying, although it looks like laughter? This means that the qubit 0.(3) leaves room for doubt. And given that programming is almost dead and everything will soon be replaced by AI, the above technique for obtaining qubits is especially interesting.

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

For example, in the sentence "Sarah laughs." only one phrase and its weight is 1: no doubt. And in the sentence "Sara, Angelica and Maria laughs" there are three phrases with weights 0.(3), and there is room for doubt: what if Maria is crying, although it looks like laughter?

What if Sarah was crying the first time round?

2. msobkow Silver badge

Actually, in the first example you have, "Sarah Laughs" has a weight of P(0..1) because it is only a probability until the event is measured. That is the whole point of quantum processing - to evaluate a collection of probabilistic and factual inputs to determine the most likely results (or range of results.)

There is no such thing as "no doubt" except when dealing with an externally measured fact that has already been observed and evaluated.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. lullabyman

I'll believe it when I see it.

The only thing a quantum computer has been able to do is make a random number generator. I can toss a coin instead. Quantum supremacy for a practical purpose has yet to be proven. The problem is noise, an there's fair enough doubt to suggest that it's not a solvable problem. Perhaps this method, using light, will overcome that. I've wondered for 30 years why they haven't had light-based computers, nice they're finally doing it. I keep waiting, hoping, I'm not giving up that practical quantum supremacy will be a thing someday. Once it's able to prove quantum supremacy in the traveling salesman problem I'm shorting all cryptocurrency. Bye bye passwords.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022