back to article Microsoft goes native with OneDrive on Apple Silicon

Microsoft's cloudy storage service, OneDrive, has gone native on Apple Silicon as Folder Backup arrives in Public Preview. The update follows issues in January encountered by customers using the updated Files On-Demand for macOS. Customers called the update "disastrous" and described large chunks of it as broken, from speed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spot on

“world’s best malware poster for about a decade”

and if you read "The Old New Thing", it seems they have one rule - always blame the customer.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If only...

Microsoft gave us an option NOT to install this POS on Macs. I have to go through a delete process every time my Office for Mac gets an update. I don't want it yet MS keeps giving me the crap. I don't have nor do I want to create an account on any Microsoft domains.

I have already decided NOT to get Office for Mac when I move to an Apple Silicon machine later in the year. For my needs, Libre Office does the job pretty well.

Do it the MS way or not at all... I've chosen the not at all route.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If only...

Microsoft and Adobe - both seem to have gone deep into thinking they own the user's computer and resources, and apparenrly even personal details are no longer ours to decide about.

So, both got ejected from our infrastructure (there's effectively a ban on procurement), but we're lucky enough to be able to do that, many do not.

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Happy

I'm sure that in the fairly recent past, some marketing wonk in the tech industry presented his latest brainwave to management:

"Problem statement: What aspects of the home computing segment are left for us to monetize? We now have DLC, subscriptions and microtransactions on gaming, paywalls on websites, subscriptions on office suites... what's next?

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I give you: people will pay us every time they save a file to disk!"

(confused silence)

"No, no, run with me on this - we'll call it 'save to cloud', we'll use dark patterns to steer people towards it whether they think they want it or not, and best of all, we can hold people's data to ransom if they stop paying us! It's one more chunk of the 'Personal' Computer that we will own!"

(tumultuous applause)

(one guy at the back of the room, dressed all in red, with horns on his head and black smoke rising sinuously from him as a perpetual cloud of flies buzzes around, speaks up hesitantly)

"I don't know. It seems a bit too... evil."

2. phuzz Silver badge
        Joke

Microsoft [...] seem to have gone deep into thinking they own the user's computer and resources

Given how much money they've bribed computer manufacturers with over the years to install Windows from the factory, they have effectively already paid for your computer. Is it any wonder they consider it theirs?

;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like