back to article Linus Torvalds 'starting to get worried' as Linux kernel 5.17 rc6 lands

Linux kernel boss Linus Torvalds is "starting to be a bit worried" by lack of progress on version 5.17 of the project. In his weekly state of the kernel post, he opened with an observation that "whatever crazy things are going on in the world (and I personally had 'Zombie apocalypse' on my bingo card, not 'Putin has a mental …

1. ShadowSystems Silver badge

I'll do it!

I'll just sit right down, pull over my keyboard, & fix every bug in every version of every distro of every package & of every module ever made.

It'll only take me about fifteen minutes, thirty if I fully comment the whole thing.

I have one question though...

What text editor should I use?

*Throws up a fluttery snowstorm of paper tags with the word "SARCASM!" printed on both sides to distract you while I run like hell*

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: I'll do it!

The place is in flames and he's worried that the shopping's late.

2. jetjet

I tgought there is only one editor - Notepad!

1. Joe W Silver badge
        Pint

Nah - it's wordpad

;p

2. Bartholomew Bronze badge
        Coat

Sacrilege, everyone knows that the one true editor is ed, it has been in active use since 1969 (mostly because no one can remember the correct key combination to save and quit) - so all the bugs must have been squashed by now. Although if they were using ed to fix the bugs in ed and ed had bugs ... *ponder*

And possibly EDLIN (The standard MS-DOS line editor since 1980) - I'm sorry but legal has just advised me to make no statements regarding bugs in closed source code developed by Microsoft.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
          Pint

in active use since 1969 (mostly because no one can remember the correct key combination to save and quit)

Pure class!

You deserve it =>

2. Bruce Ordway

ed?

That reminds me I still have an old tri-fold instruction card "HP-UX system administration handbook and toolkit vi". I keep it near the staircase, tucked between baseboard and sheet-rock. Approx 20 years since I've used vi but... as I walk by it, every day and I'm just sure I still need it.

3. swm Silver badge

ed

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
    Coat

Bingo! I, too, had zombie apocalypse on my card.

3. ElRegioLPL

People management doesn't appear to be his forte

4. DS999 Silver badge

Bingo card

I had zeta variant, which spreads via eye contact from up to 100 feet away but instead of coughing the symptom is laughing. But don't laugh, some people would end up hospitalized with a hernia from laughing too hard, and some people would even die laughing.

Because that's the only fitting way for this pandemic to end at this point, with laughter since it is been too hard on us all for the past two years.

5. Kev99 Silver badge

Question. If Linux (or OS x or mictosoft os, etc) are so good, why do they keep needing updates? Maybe if the koders paid attention to all the CVEs out there updtes would actually seldom be necessary.

1. Serif

New features, drivers for new hardware, optimizations, removal of unused / no longer maintained code, fixes for new vulnerabilties that have just appeared in lists like CVE. And probably other reasons that don't immediately come to mind.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022