back to article AMD confirms Xilinx merger approved by regulators

AMD on Tuesday said it has passed all the regulatory hurdles to complete its $35bn acquisition of Xilinx, which will close on Monday. The acquisition of Xilinx will bulk up AMD's product offerings with FPGAs (that's field programmable gate arrays), which are reprogrammable chips used for all sorts of applications, from …

1. lundril

I am feeling depressed...

First Intel took over Altera.

Then Intel killed the brand; in fact replacing all the "Altera" labels in all the documentation by "Intel", was probably the single biggest waste of money I can think of. Instead if you looked for these FPGAs you had to search for "Intel Programmable Solutions Group". (I could puke whenever I hear someone selling a "solution", which in fact means, that I have to do all the work.)

At least after "only" 6 years they finally managed, to integrate the PSG into their website in such a way that you can actually find it... and obviously found out that absolutely no one has an idea what a "Programmable Solution" is; so they finally admit that they sell FPGAs.

On the sales front: Intel first of all killed off all the traditional distributors and switched to "Arrow".

For anyone trying to buy an FPGA: The "Arrow" website is a place to get really frustrated, really fast.

On the engineering front: The only thing which came out for the last 5 years is called "Agilex" and (as expected) is only useful if you are interested in data center applications; and maybe baseband applications.

Of course for a price, which might you make drop dead (if you can buy this FPGA at all).

All the nifty things you can do with FPGAs NOT related to the data center; well bad luck: I don't expect anything remotely usable from Intel in this category any more; they just sell the stuff Altera designed 6 years ago... and that's it.

At least there still was Xilinx; not that I like their FPGAs that much or their design software, but at least that was an alternative.

And now AMD is probably doing the same thing to Xilinx as Intel did to Altera.

Another company murdered; congratulations.

1. Justthefacts Silver badge

Re: I am feeling depressed...

It sounds like you think this is incompetence. But to develop any new chip you really need to prototype on FPGA. Which means Altera or Xilinx in practice. And now Intel and AMD own one each.

I mean, it *might* be accidental?

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

That's handy.

How are they footing the bill? I think we knee'd to know.

3. bigtreeman

riscy fpgas

Intel has signed up and cashed up with Risc-V which could make a more interesting companion with Altera.

If AMD could also get on board with Risc-V paired with Xilinx.

Along with open source software, the computing world might open up and get really interesting.

1. Justthefacts Silver badge

Re: riscy fpgas

Why?

The Stratix 10’s and Agilex have onboard quad-core ARM CortexA53 that’s very capable.

Xilinx Zynq has onboard Cortex A9, which is decent.

Alternatively…they’re FPGAs. If you want to put down something open-source onto logic elements, you can! You’ve got a choice of Xilinx free Microblaze core that’s been available since you were born, or you can use RISCV if you insist.

This can be a teachable moment. Get a large Xilinx Ultrascale+ and tile it completely with Microblaze cores. Microblaze is a pretty weedy core, but good enough as a microcontroller, and gate-efficient. Benchmark the total performance. Repeat with RISC-Vs. Compare and contrast.

Try the Bluespec - here’s how:

https://www.xilinx.com/about/blogs/adaptable-advantage-blog/2021/MicroZed-Chronicles--Bluespec-RISC-V.html

Let us know the answer ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like