back to article US prosecutors: Chinese walkie-talkie-maker Hytera stole Motorola secrets

The US Department of Justice announced on Monday that Chinese walkie-talkie manufacturer Hytera had been indicted on 21 counts related to an alleged theft of trade secrets from US-based competitor Motorola Solutions. According to unsealed court documents, the Shenzhen-based company recruited and hired employees from Motorola …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sepura

Hytera own UK based Sepura

1. Hubert Thrunge Jr.

Re: Sepura

And their biggest supplier in the UK is Airwave,. Which is owned by..... Motorola

2. JimG

I wonder whether Motorola could have avoided this situation with fairer pay/conditions or were these just very greedy individuals.

3. _LC_
    Thumb Down

What secrets?

What secrets - and 21 of'em in walkie-talkies? Who are you kidding!

US 101 allegations must watch:

https://rumble.com/vu3d6m-video-journalist-hammers-state-department-spokesman-over-russian-lies.html

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

Re: What secrets?

They're trunked digital radios, not FRS analog walkie talkies. Lots of proprietary information like CODEC and compression design, data formats, etc. Being able to interoperate with Motorola systems would be a big selling point, as Motorola is legendarily secretive about protocols and programming of their equipment.

1. Arthur Daily

Re: What secrets?

CODEC's are done and dusted, and I hope they use the open source ones- there are many to choose from - see wikipedia. Huawei knows all about trunking - nothing new there.

Motorola only has one annoying feature -amateur radio hackproofing, and not allowing the enduser to bypass 'blocked' bands for local markets, such as police etc. So they buy Baofeng instead. Motorola only has one secret - quality and reliability, testing of batches, they just work. And the paint does not wear off the buttons. Somehow I think Chinese companies will not use any of Motorolas training and QA procedures, nor spend more money testing, and catching their suppliers selling downgraded knock-offs. It is the French SDR radio firms that should be squealing. The perfect walkie talkie would

1) Compulsory user registration - like Android, un-upgradable after 2 years

2) Have backdoors, secret GPS tracking data to the mothership

3) Use the words AI, Improved, and Facebook likes for using it

4) A Kadashian version, iron pyrites , sparkles and gold flashing

5) Uploadable ringtones, and a playstore

6) Push ads on the user.

7) A built in mobile phone jammer (note some ultracheap battery chargers and led light bulbs do this well).

The only thing of value is a current customer list, and the numbers of the purchasing decision makers.

Even that is questionable, because they have already been blackballed in the US.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

China stealing intellectual property? I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you!

1. _LC_
      Thumb Down

So am I

Under the pretext of “fighting terror” the US stole MASSES of intellectual property from their European “partners”. Companies had their inventions patented by US companies, using THEIR OWN pictures intercepted from faxes. This is how long it dates back. When those companies sued, with the clear proof of their pictures in the US patents, US courts simply threw out the cases.

Thanks, but China has NEVER been this bad to us.

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

Re: So am I

That's utterly false!

The US never needed the pretext of "fighting terror" to spy on their European partners to gain a competitive advantage

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Arthur Daily

Re: So am I

The USA has a 'Too obscure' clause in their patent system, so patents in Korean or Japanese or some other foreign language is just too hard. There is no 'Sorry, well yeah, the Japanese were making these 30 years ago' automatic cancellations/ removals.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like