back to article Polly wants a snapper? Parrot swipes GoPro for sweet views of New Zealand's Fiordland

An endangered parrot native to New Zealand's alpine region went full David Attenborough on a family enjoying Fiordland National Park by swooping off with their GoPro camera as they tried to film it. Having just finished a trek along the park's Kepler Track, the Verheuls from Dunedin were joined at a viewing spot by some kea, …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.

1. David 132 Silver badge

"Watch the birdie..."

2. Giles C Silver badge

The bird is better at camera work than a lot of people…

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another court case?

Get ready for the copyright case if this goes viral ....

https://www.theregister.com/2014/08/07/macaque_monkey_selfie_wikipedia_copyright_carpetbagging/

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Another court case?

Yes, I came here to enquire whether the parrot or the camera owner had the copyright...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly this citizen had filmed something they shouldn't have, and this drone acted to seize the evidence.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Cheeky

The Kea was named New Zealand's bird of the year in 2017 and, like many cheeky politicians, it's trying for reelection.

1. Tom 7

Re: Cheeky

Spent a couple of hours watching some of these little bugger playing around. I'd re-elect them over most of our current (UK) politicians - they're far far more intelligent.

2. Kernel

Well, it missed out on re-election to the job in 2021 - the winner was the Long-Tailed bat, one of NZ's only two native mammals.

Yes, we know bats aren't birds, but we like to do things differently, ok?

1. Scott 26

That election was rigged!!!

(/s - I voted for the bat, too)

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Sometimes you just get fed up with tourists and their bloody cameras everywhere.

1. Tom 7

There' s a lovely long lake on the south island with a chapel with a window looking down the lake. We'd been there for half an hour on our campervan tour in total peace and quiet. All of a sudden two bus loads of Japanese tourists turned up and swarmed the place. I stood where I was -bang smack in the middle of the window on the lake side. Two minutes later they'd all got back on the buses and disappeared. One of my crew suggested I should feel guilty for ruining their shots from inside the chapel but it really wasn't safe to move - I'd probably be living in Japan now!

1. richardcox13

Lake Tekapo?

Yes, beautiful.

(And, a few days previously had a Kea happily sitting on glacial ice for a photo (this was early 2000's, so all on film).

7. FuzzyTheBear
    Pint

Never forget Sciroco ..

The birds in NZ are extraordinary.

Amongst them Sciroco the Kakapo .. almost national bird .. again a ground parrot.

NZ has treasures for which there is no equal on earth.

The preservation of those bird species Kea, Kakapo and all others are an endeavor that NZ's can be proud of.

Bravo to the bird .. what a clown :D

8. Winkypop Silver badge

Kea like them some Kia

And any other car brand for that matter.

They will attempt to remove all wiper blades, windscreen and door rubbers.

They will fly off with anything and will go through your bags.

Great footage.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: They will fly off with anything and will go through your bags

I presume they work in customs, then?

9. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I, Robot?

No, I'Kea :-)

10. bpfh
    Joke

Oi Kea

The new kiwi furniture store?

11. david 12 Silver badge

Low level formation flying

I see the other 'aricraft' in shot as it flies off, and it reminds of what other pilots have said about the shear joy of certain kinds of flight.

(And then youtube offers me 'ornithology' and 'Falcon 9' links....)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like