back to article EU digital sovereignty project Gaia-X hands out ID tech contracts

The Gaia-X project has awarded work to a consortium including Vereign and DAASI International that takes it one step closer to realising Self Sovereign Identity technology. A goal of Gaia-X is to reduce the dependency of European companies and governments on US technology providers via a federated European data infrastructure …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gaia-X?

Sounds like the pR0n version of an internet wellbeing video streaming site.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A goal of Gaia-X is to reduce the dependency of European companies and governments on US technology providers

Looks like "take back control" is catching on ... :-)

1. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

A goal of Gaia-X

"The reported objective of GAIA-X is to design the next generation of a federated European data infrastructure. To accomplish this it hopes to specify common requirements for a European data infrastructure and develop a reference implementation.#

"The stated goal of this digital ecosystem is to ensure that companies and business models from Europe can be competitive. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAIA-X

3. MiguelC Silver badge

"A decentralised identity is supposed to allow users more self-determination in regards to identity data by putting the user in charge of the storage and transfer of their data,"

all fun and games until someone loses their own identity

1. steelpillow Silver badge

or someone else pwns it

4. Rich 2 Silver badge

Get on that bandwagon!!

“… it involves a blockchain and, with a certain inevitability, a digital wallet…”

So what you’re saying is that nobody will actually use it because it’ll be flaky and difficult to use and be viewed as a gimmick?

Come back in a couple of years (after all the money has been pissed away) and tell me I’m wrong

1. steelpillow Silver badge
      Gimp

Re: Get on that bandwagon!!

Which puts a misquote of Walsh into my head:

"Curse your sudden but inevitable digital betrayal!"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't Estonia have this one sorted out some time ago?

6. xyz Silver badge

Mmmm...

Didn't know something like this was on the go.

IMHO... this would work well, if it works. My idea was everyone controls their own data;,yes a personal blockchain is needed for your historic audit. Then you can give out time limited access to virtual areas containing documents necessary for whatever org. No need for data controllers, no need for orgs to keep your data etc etc. Makes more sense than all that photocopying hioo ha I have to go through everytime I "interface" with a new Borg collective of civil servants.

Geezza joab!

7. rg287

"EU Project"?

Gaia-X Association was founded last year by 22 French and German companies. It now has 300 members from across Europe including the UK, Switzerland and other non-EU states. There are also members in India, Japan and elsewhere.

Now obviously a bunch of French and German firms piling into a non-profit in Brussels does rather sound like core EU, but the only actual connection to the EU I can see is that Ursula von der Leyen (President of the EC) mentioned Gaia-X in a 2020 speech:

"And it is why we will build a European cloud as part of NextGenerationEU - based on GaiaX."

I've no doubt the EU are keeping an eye on Gaia-X as part of strategic digital sovereignty for Europe. But is it actually correct to describe Gaia-X as an "EU digital sovereignty project"? European perhaps, but EU != Europe.

8. Tron Silver badge

Nationalist censorship and control.

How long before the 'world beating' UK internet ends at Dover with multiple levels of verification by 2FA per site.

9. deadfamous

Individual death?

Just stop working on this stuff, Lads (and Ladies)

This stuff does not end well for individual freedom

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like