back to article MariaDB takes a dip into Angel Pond to clean up and go public

MariaDB Corporation Ab, which sells the popular open source database by the same name, said on Tuesday that it intends to become a public company with the help of Angel Pond Holdings Corporation. The deal, announced in a S-1 filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commissio,n [PDF] describes the Cayman Islands-based biz as …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given the white-hot-heat state of the data market and the overwhelmingly large number of people what know and use mysql/mariadb that is really not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. Presumably this is the practical end of MariaDB and the owners cashing out.

2. goldcd

Well I hope that the inevitable next free fork

has a better name than "Maria"

1. Michael

Re: Well I hope that the inevitable next free fork

Just use postgres.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Monty's daughters

Any potential angel investors might want to check first that Monty doesn't have a third daughter (or a son, come to that), if you catch my drift...

And if his partner is pregnant already, maybe keep the chequebook in your pocket...

[muses: I wonder quite what Monty's daughters feel about having database systems named after them, and especially what his older daughter thinks about her namesake having been abandoned to the care of a wicked stepfather?]

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Monty's daughters

Maria *is* Monty's third child. There was a much-less-successful MaxDB in between, known only to those deep into their SAP techno-archaeology.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Monty's daughters

Wow, that really is from the "not a lot of people know that" category! (I didn't!)

I just hope the poor lad (young man by now?) doesn't have sleepless nights being the forgotten/unknown one, living in the shadow of his sisters…

I suppose it seems sort of cute naming software after your children when they are young babies or toddlers, but I guess they must all be teenagers or even older by now in real life? It must be a little bit strange for them, even if only a fairly 'niche' audience will be aware of the connection. (Someone, somewhere, surely has to come up with KevinSQL, but you probably wouldn't want to use it, it's a bit uncommunicative…)

[1st AC again.]

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Clarification

SPAC-driven deals have become popular in recent years partly as a defense against market volatility…

This is not about volatility but avoiding scrutiny, regulation and costs. IPOs must provide detailed company information and answer questions; SPACs don't and mean the VCs don't have to share any cash with the banks. But SPACs are also a cat in the bag, with the "special purpose" only a label. Basing the company in the Cayman Islands is another clue about the noble intentions…

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Clarification

Yes, I too see SPACs also more as a route to market which avoid sponsoring a bank as is required with an IPO. If SPACs had better disclosure regulation they could indeed lose the banks quite a bit of money.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022