back to article He ain't heavy, he's my brother: Bloke gives away SpaceX ticket because he was over weight limit

Some out-of-this world generosity emerged out of Florida this week as it was revealed that one of the passengers on SpaceX's first space tourist flight in September was actually given his ticket by a friend. Pals Kyle Hippchen, 43, and Chris Sembroski, 42, were roommates at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical College, The Guardian …

1. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

Let me fix that.

"...it's possible but it's not the most healthy thing in the world to doI'd have to give up stuffing my face on the sofa and go outdoors so, fuck that..."

A quick bit of maths reveals that 330lbs is a shade over 25 1/2 stone, or "a tad overweight for a prop forward" as I like to call it.

SpaceX may need to revise their payload maths to first assume a spherical human...

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Let me fix that.

BMI of 47.5!!

Any diet is going to be healthier than being that size.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Worth remembering that the American BMI is a bit more relaxed about these things compared to the UK version.

Whats more, BMI is total bollocks anyway. It doesn't account for bone density and body shapes. It's far more nuanced than being X tall and Y heavy.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Yeah, totally. I just have big bones.

2. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

BMI may or may not be total bollocks, but no amount of nuance is going to explain it -- the guy is a wee bit overweight.

3. Brad16800
          Pint

At 150KG I don't think we're talking bone density issues. But yea, BMI is a bit of a joke, friend of mine is ripped and would be overweight according to BMI. Try telling him that when you're trying to keep up on a run or climbing a cliff.

Good on him for giving the ticket to his mate though.

Actually checked my BMI today and i'm severely underweight (17.9 apparently, 6ft 60kg), they recommended I speak to a GP in case i'm anorexic. Doesn't make sense to me as I drink a ton of beer and eat whatever I like.

Oh I do exercise 30-45 minutes a day, walking, running and swimming so not a complete slob. I like to think I balance out the drinking with the exercise :)

1. disgruntled yank

@Brad18600

The last grown man I've known of roughly those proportions had an out-of-control thyroid. I don't think it would be a bad idea to check in with the physicians.

(In my 20s, I ran a lot of marathons, in decent time for a recreational runner, but I don't think I ever dropped below 19.7 BMI.)

4. wgedfwasd

BMI was created as a way of measuring populations, not individuals — and it was designed for the purposes of statistics, not individual health.

1. Curtis

It was also designed as an excuse to keep peasants "underfed". Among other issues, it ignores the "square-cube" law of volume

2. Steve K

He's a carrier pilot too from the article - so given his dimensions/mass, he will presumably be aware of Weight and Balance/Forward CoG limits

1. cageordie

He's a CRJ captain for Endeavor Air in Florida.

1. Steve K

Ah - different sort of carrier - I read that as "aircraft carrier" but did think that he might not fit in a F16/F-35!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Facepalm

Still, I'm amazed he can fit in the pilot's seat.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Not to mention "carrier pilot Hippchen"

At his weight, is the flying military craft from aircraft carriers or is flying civilian cargo planes for FedEx or someone?

2. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

If you're 5'10 and 23 ½ stone, losing that five and a half stone as quickly as possible is by far the healthiest thing to do.

I'm not a health nazi, but 5'10 and 23 ½ stone? Christ.

17st 8lb ( the max weight ) isn't exactly tiny.

PS: Why is El Reg using foreign units - American and French, without providing a conversion to either Imperial or El Reg's own units ?

According to the El Reg Standards Soviet, 23 ½ stone is 17.153 Adult Badgers

1. AMBxx Silver badge

El Reg unit is much coarser - '1 fat bastard'

2. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

And what fraction of a Wales?

1. john.w

Or should that be Whales?

2. disgruntled yank

@Fr. Ted:

Depends on whether the Wales is Edward the Caresser, or the rather slimmer incumbent.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...foreign units - American"

What is not foreign to you?

The article uses _popular_ length and weight/mass units. Besides AWG (and we can debate that with Germans), there is no popular American units that aren't foreign. Even popular "non-unit" standards that have been popularized by America aren't just American/English (or even the majority). For example, the NATO phonetic alphabet has been popularized by America, but most of the words in it are not "American" (A.K.A. "English").

As an American I feel that the entire English language and it's base units are a clusterfuck compilation of "foreign".

FWIW, I can't prove it but I suspect if you go back far enough that even "Imperial" is a set of "foreign" (guessing Germanic / Middle-Eastern / Greecian / the-typical-players / etc. ).

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

El Reg is British. "Imperial" refers to British customary units.

Stones are extremely popular in Britain for measuring the weight of people ( 14lb in a stone ). I, and many British people, cannot picture what 123kg or 234lb looks like without converting it mentally to stone.

Just as if you're 1.79m tall, I'd have to convert that to feet and inches to work out what you're talking about.

Yes, you're right - imperial units are based on the original Roman units.

1. david 12 Silver badge

"Imperial" refers to British customary units.

Not any more. During and after WWII, British and American Customary Units were standardized to international units (which is what the USA now uses), which involved some stuff like adjusting the length of the mile. Then the UK changed directions and adopted the *other* international standardization effort. As a result, neither the American nor the British customary units are an exact match for the old Imperial units.

2. Claverhouse Silver badge

El Reg is British. "Imperial" refers to British customary units.

Stones are extremely popular in Britain for measuring the weight of people ( 14lb in a stone ). I, and many British people, cannot picture what 123kg or 234lb looks like without converting it mentally to stone.

Just as if you're 1.79m tall, I'd have to convert that to feet and inches to work out what you're talking about.

Quite right.

2. Boothy

'Imperial' measures were implemented by the British in the early 19th century, basically standardising things across the then quite large and growing British Empire.

Imperial in turn was derived from an earlier 'English' set of measures, that had been around in various forms since the late middle ages.

The 'English' measures were in turn based on a mix of Roman and Anglo-Saxon measures.

The American Colonies (i.e. pre USA) were using the 'English' system (English colonies of course), but were then standardised into the US customary units' some time after independency.

So both Imperial and US units derive from early English units, and so on. Common ancestor, but not quite the same as each other (gallons etc).

As you imply, the English language, (and by extension measures), is the bast*rd child of many many peoples over many many years! :-)

3. iron Silver badge

> there is no popular American units that aren't foreign

Many of the units you use are 100% American and not the same as their Imperial counterparts with the same name.

Take the humble gallon for example, 1 USA gallon = 0.83 Imperial gallons. Similarly for pints, quarts, cups, tablespoons, teaspoons, etc the US measurement is not the same as the Imperial measurement making it 100% native.

Or would you suggest none of those are popular measurements?

1. Boothy

Nope. All your units are old English units.

As mentioned above, the US system was based on the earlier English unit system, that predated the Imperial system (the Imperial system didn't come into being till well after US independence).

So both systems have a common ancestor, the old English units, why else do you think they use the same names?

The gallon originally (predating the USA), came in several sizes, depending on what you were measuring, there was a wine gallon, an ale gallon, a corn gallon etc etc. (The gallon was used for liquids and dry items).

The US, who was using the English units initially (after all they were an English colony), after independence and wanting to standardise measurements, decided having multiple gallons was a bit silly (quite rightly), so decided to standardise on a single main gallon size, and chose the wine gallon, dropping all the others.

Later on in Briton, when the Imperial units were standardised, they did the same, but based it on the ale gallon instead, dropping all the other gallons.

That's why the US and UK now have different sizes of gallon. They were both derived from old English units, we just picked different ones to use as the standardised gallon.

This is also why other measurements such as quarts and pints are different, as those are divisions of the gallon. A quart being a single quarter of a gallon, and a pint being one half of a quart.

So for example US and UK both have 8 pints in a gallon, just the UK pints are bigger, because the UK gallon is bigger, which sometimes catches out the tourists, if they hadn't noticed before a night out :-)

1. NXM Silver badge

That's why we buy beer in pints, not whatever they have in the US. And it's not pissy weak lager either.

1. Curtis

No, we use pints (some cans use ounces, but that's not in the pub). But most of the pubs I visit also serve nice dark porters.

2. david 12 Silver badge

The Americans adopted International units in the period 1930 / 1960. The international standards were defined by an international standards negotiation process. The names of the units are the same as the names of British customary units, but the definitions match neither the preceding British Imperial definitions nor the preceding American definitions.

Subsequently the British adopted a different international standard, and later the Americans did the same: all or most American customary units are now defined in term of SI units.

3. b0llchit Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

I was trying to figure out how I could drop 80lb [36kg]...

Ahem, that is still over 110 kg and still be [a] fat[ass]. Dropping 55..65 kg would be a goal. A healthy goal too.

1. Swarthy

Dropping that much weight would be good for him, dropping it that fast would likely trigger diabetes and other health issues.

Never having gotten to that weight would have been better.

4. Victor Ludorum
    Pint

I know BMI is controversial in some circles

but his BMI works out at about 47. That's quite high.

Even shifting 50kg would still class him as 'morbidly obese'.

Less of these might help --->

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I know BMI is controversial in some circles

Controversial it may be for fellas that are particularly tall and therefore eternally flirt with "technically obese" despite being fit as a fiddle, but an average-height chap clocking in at 150 kilograms is facing a short road to a particularly unpleasant decline and death whichever measure you opt to use.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Or as my granpa would put it: "have you ever seen a fat old man? no..."

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm the same height and I used to be less than a third of this guy's weight. Occasionally BMI calculators would tell me I'm anorexic, nah, I'm* just a skinny bastard ;)

* well, not as skinny as I used to be

2. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

About a decade ago, I shifted quite a bit of weight by switching from beer to spirits on Sunday-Thursday nights.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

Well, damn. I'm too fat as well... I guess back to Cracker Barrel.

There's nowhere to exercise here. There's a couple blocks to walk in downtown Titusville (little over a 1/4 mile) but no gyms or anything.

I can't cook, so I either eat out, have microwave, or a grilled cheese sandwich or ramen noodles.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

There are plenty of exercises you can do with just your own body weight. Burpees are a fine example.

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

That's possibly your problem. I managed a 25kg loss over 3-4 months after being diagnosed with T2 diabetes. So hit the reasearch, and decided T2 is basically carb intolerance. So switched pretty ruthlessly to a low carb diet and the weight fell off. Only exercise was spreading out my shopping so I was walking 1-2 miles.

Biggest challenge was adapting meals to cut down on high carb stuff like bread, spuds, pasta etc and figuring out alternatives. I love BLTs in a nice French baton, but made non-bread BLTs by just parcelling up the filling in lettuce leaves. Neat side effect is now I have cheap treats like bread or chips/fries maybe once a month.

There's growing recognition that a low-carb diet helps with weightloss and T2 diabetes management. Still some challenges, like the official UK and US diet advice is still heavy on the carbs, but that's down to lobbying from the food industry.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

There's growing recognition that a low-carb diet helps with weightloss and T2 diabetes management.

Lowering carbs does seem to be key and worked for me.

And exercise. Grab an MP3 player, a couple of kg dumbells, and dance like no one's watching.

I shrug off any feelings of twattishness by knowing how much healthier I am.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Out of interest, do you view yourself as 'cured'? One of the mysteries I guess is why T2 'epidemic'? Especially when there's so many potential factors involved. Or fairly lax regulation around food additives. But my last few HbA1c tests have had me as 'healthy'. I suspect if I went back to my old diet, my pancreas would object again. I keep meaning to try a glucose tolerance test to see what that shows, but haven't found a handy way to get the standard drinks. Guess I could improvise though.

1. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

In the US, at least, they put high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in EVERYTHING, and in many foods it's the first ingredient. Over here, they're supposed to list ingredients in order of most to least. It's damnably hard to avoid HFCS. You'll even find it in stuff that doesn't taste sweet.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Learn to cook?

No, seriously. :) Simple meals are easy to cook (after a while - I get there's a learning curve), healthier, and tastier than any restaurant or takeout. There are a ton of YouTube channels dedicated to helping people to learn. French Cooking Academy, for example, has a lot of (early) videos that cover all the basics of food prep before diving into simple recipes. Just feel free to cut out some of the butter sometimes. ;)

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
        Holmes

Or services like hellofresh, gousto etc - simple recipes, easy to follow and all the right ingredients in conveniently the correct amounts.

That gives the basis which can lead to experimentation and developing one's own skills.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, they are good options too. :)

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

I'm kinda dubious about services like HelloFresh. Mainly because of the VFM and cost per meal. It does have value in getting people to cook, but there are cheaper alternatives. I enjoy cooking though, and think the trick is to learn some basics, then start experimenting.

Then some simple meal planning can save on prep time and ways to use leftovers. Wierd thing I've noticed is a correlation between making shopping lists, and diligently following recipes, and inability to improvise.

And I guess the US can have fewer exercise options, and doesn't seem to encourage pedestrians. UK has that challenge as well though.

1. Irony Deficient

Weird thing I’ve noticed is a correlation between …

… making shopping lists, and diligently following recipes, and inability to improvise.

I’d alter that slightly — make shopping lists, diligently improvise (but keep track of what’s being done), and unwillingness to continue improvising once a particularly tasty dish has been produced, at which point it’s a recipe.

1. MisterHappy

Re: Weird thing I’ve noticed is a correlation between …

Purely from a personal viewpoint...

I was spending far too much on ready-meals/take out/eat-in and decided to get a couple of recipe books and try and learn how to cook.

Yes I diligently followed recipes to the letter at the start but after a while I had got confident enough in the basics that I could adapt, combine & improvise. Obviously YMMV but I think recipe books are a good start, just buy some that include things like making a rue & a simple cheese sauce as well as the fancy stuff.

2. Brad16800

My wife signed up to Hello Fresh and sure the food was ok along with a recipe to cook it but I prefer just going to the supermarket and doing it myself rather than paying someone else to figure out my dinner for me. Don't need someone else to decide what I eat (I do all/most of the cooking at home)

I'm sure they have a place, especially if you're new to cooking. My Early years 2 minute noodles featured often when studying but that was more of a financial thing.

Still anything that gets people cooking at home instead of ordering takeaway is a win really. Important life skill.

3. Mog_X

We did Hello Fresh for over a year - they were pretty good and are healthy in the most part.

Stopped it as the quality started to slip, but we had kept all the recipe cards for the meals we liked, so we now do our normal shopping trips using these as a template.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"tastier than any restaurant or takeout"

Apparently you don't have any good restaurants in your area. Or you call McDonalds a restaurant. It isn't.

A good chef in a restaurant is hard to beat. Yes, there are definitely people who know how to cook at home (my wife is one), but just saying learn how to cook and you'll do better than any restaurant chef is a rather tall order.

And, if you do, you can always open a restaurant ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "tastier than any restaurant or takeout"

Apparently you don't have any good restaurants in your area.

I live in Norway. There isn't a good restaurant in the country. ;)

Well, maybe there are one or two, but none near me.

But my point was that a lot of restaurants don't have good, healthy food - most have mediocre, barely healthy food. Unless you pay for it.

I know how to cook (well - I've never killed anyone that I know of), and enjoy doing so. Too busy engineering software and planning the house I want to build to have time to open a restaurant though. :)

4. ShadowSystems

At Gene Cash, re: excersize.

You can get lots of excersize in almost zero space at all by pushing your luck, jumping to conclusions, leaps of faith, crunching your numbers, lifting your spirits, etc.

*Hands you a pint filled with laxative*

Drink up! You'll be skinnier in no time! =-D

*Cough*

I am not a doctor, this is not sound medical advice, do not use this post as guidance, do not expose to sunlight, do not mix with water, do not take with you into the bath, do not taunt the Happy Fun Ball, not for children nor adults, not to be taken lightly, not to be consumed while operating heavy machinery, not to be...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: At Gene Cash, re: excersize.

The fact you didn't mention that no animals were harmed in the creation of your post is rather telling...you murdering bastard!! :-)

6. Wanting more

me too

I just scrape in under the weight limit, but expect my high blood pressure and asthma (problems with altitude?) might still exclude me. Maybe also the lack of vast amounts of disposable income...

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: me too

If you want a space reward to motivate getting fitter the target price for a ride on Starship is about $5000 (what you would currently pay for a vomit comet ticket). It will take a while for the price to drop that low (and for the final lithobraking manoeuvre to not be immediately followed by RUD). In the mean time: one month until Starship's Programmatic Environmental Assessment gets completed delayed.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: me too

Really?

Definitely going on my list then. As long as it gets built while I'm still young enough to enjoy it.

7. Howard Sway Silver badge

What a shame....

He never got to experience weightlessness.

8. Paul Smith
    Coat

Obviously didn't want to go

There are always options if you want something badly enough, I would have given an arm and a leg...

Re: Obviously didn't want to go

Or just lost a few stone. It's not that hard if you commit.

2. Vulch

Might need to make it both legs to lose that much weight...

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Pint

".......that any net imbalance between the amount you eat and the amount you excrete whilst on the planet, is surgically removed from your body weight when you leave. So every time you go to the lavatory there, it’s vitally important to get a receipt."

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

149.6kg?

That's more than two of me. In the same skin! (I'm the same height and clock in just a smidge over 70kg right now.)

For those enquiring minds out there, eat less. ;) Diseases notwithstanding, it's really that simple.

I dropped just over a kilo (2.2lbs) last week by switching to a slightly healthier diet. I've been having a (very) large milkshake (homemade with fresh or frozen fruit and the like) around 11, and then a salad with chicken or tuna or something for dinner around 18. I drink water and/or juice in between, and usually have some fresh fruit or some yoghurt later in the evening. For someone who spends his entire day sitting down punching keys and nudging a mouse I don't need more calories. Exercise is something that happens to other people.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: 149.6kg?

You can drop a kilo in just a few minutes if you measure yourself before and after a 'big' trip to the toilet (I managed 1.2kg one time, but a lot of that was a very full bladder).

Make sure you're either always measuring at the same part of your routine each day, and/or by measuring more often and taking an average.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Make sure you're either always measuring at the same part of your routine each day, and/or by measuring more often and taking an average.

I do. Every morning. It wavers, naturally, but the trend over the last week has been steadily down. :)

1. Brad16800

Noticed the same, don't weigh myself every day but do first thing in the morning and it can vary by as much as 4KG. As long as it hangs around the same variance i'm happy :)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

4KG? That's practically a whole testicle. Don't forget to make sure both are fully on the scales. ;)

Do you own a wheel barrow and have your own section in Viz?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

No, I had to give that up after they refused to make a fold out strip.

2. Mrs Spartacus

"Exercise is something that happens to other people" - my new favourite phrase, thank you so much for making me piss myself so much I damn near had a hernia.

1. phuzz Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Laughter can be good exercise :)

3. ShadowSystems

At Def, re: weight loss.

I managed to lose around 150 pounds (69 KG) all at once. It's called a Divorce.

*Cough*

I'll get my coat, it's the one with the pockets full of empty cups o' noodles...

10. cageordie

Maybe he was a carrier pilot.

He's a CRJ captain for Endeavor Air in Florida. He may have been a carrier pilot at one time, but that's like calling me a rugby player, which I gave up 40 years ago after my friend got his femur broken in the first game in university.

Re: Maybe he was a carrier pilot.

How did he break his femur?

I can't imagine any action in rugby that could result in that injury.

A tacklers shoulder would give way before a femur would break.

Did a maul collapse onto him? But surely that would destroy his knee before his femur?

11. JessicaRabbit

If we could stop fat shaming the guy for a minute, that's a really nice thing for him to do for his friend, he could have just sold it.

It is.

But to be fair he's not just a bit tubby, he's 23 ½ stone. Mr Creosote would be aghast.

12. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

I have the answer!

Get off the god damn Hobbit diet, there is no need for 7 or 8 meals a day, I get by nicely on a light lunch and dinner until I'm full, breakfast only on the weekends! I used to eat 5 meals a day back in the 80's and it showed.

Getting of the soapbox, that was a damn nice thing to do! He can have only one of these------>

Re: I have the answer!

You'd be better off having a decent breakfast and the light lunch, skipping dinner. Or skip the lunch and have the dinner. Depends on how later dinner is.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: I have the answer!

I find a meal first thing in the day triggers the hibernation gene in me. that's why I like a breakie on the weekend! .. wait till 11 or later, and I'm full of energy,

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Enquiring minds would also like to know how to do such a thing, preferably with as little effort as possible"

As David Letterman once said: "lose weight without diet or exercise? Well, I guess that leaves disease."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lose weight without diet or exercise ..... simples !!!

To follow David Lettermans advice that leaves something like Dysentery !!!

Not to be recommended in any way !!!

Will help you to lose 'lots' of weight if you make it last a month or so.

A lot less pain just to 'Eat less' & 'Exercise more' !!!

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Pint

Re: Lose weight without diet or exercise ..... simples !!!

Well there's always the fruit flavoured mix you get to drink before a certain type of camera gets inserted into a certain hole, for fairly rapid weight loss results.

No I didn't get a before & after weight check.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Lose weight without diet or exercise ..... simples !!!

"To follow David Lettermans advice that leaves something like Dysentery !!!"

Or decent bout of 'flu. Or anything else that lays you up in bed for a week with little appetite.

14. DS999 Silver badge

Medically monitored fasting

Is probably the only way you could lose that much weight in that timeframe. The longest fast is just over a year, the guy doing it dropped from 450 to 180 pounds, and five years later he was still under 200.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As someone the wrong side of 100kg

Not by much, but there you go.

I’d never expect to be accepted for such a trip.

I’m always checking weight restrictions for light plane and helicopter joy flights, etc.

I just made it onto a space simulator weight wise in Singapore a few years back.

He should have expected this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like