back to article Sure, the James Webb Space Telescope is cool and all. But try making one out of Lego

A double helping of plastic playtime this Monday as we honour the achievements of the James Webb Space Telescope by building one out of Lego and an ESA astronaut takes some Playmobil on a tour of the ISS. Having constructed many examples of spacecraft and their infrastructure, the unfolding of the James Webb Space Telescope ( …

1. Sixtiesplastictrektableware

Nice One...

JWST for Chrimmy, and the LEGO version in the NewYa'.

Thanks, 'Reg.

2. Snowy Silver badge

Launch it

It could be the payload of that paper plane USA will still not you launch and call it LEGO (Low Earth Globe Observatory)

3. andrewmm

paper plane to space

What ever happened to the paper plane to space

1. GlenP Silver badge

Re: paper plane to space

PARIS - Paper Aeroplane Released in Space happened, a site search will throw up the details.

It's successor, LOHAN - Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator is the one that got bogged down in bureaucracy and I think fizzled out after Lester Haines sadly passed away.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: paper plane to space

I hope it still exists somewhere, probably in some dusty corner of Spaceport America.

I think we ought to locate and repatriate it, and have it displayed somewhere as a tribute to Lester.

4. Eclectic Man Silver badge
    Boffin

Dzhanibekov Effect

This is the amazing way some rotating objects behave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VPfZ_XzisU

(Mathematical explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_racket_theorem )

5. Blackjack Silver badge

I had some Playmobil stuff as a kid, good times.

6. ShadowSystems

And for your next project...

Build a fully functional space station out of LEGO, full sized, and put it in orbit.

Fill it with Human & LEGO astronaughts, send up several metric tonnes of spare bricks to use as reenforcing/repair material as well as the starter supplies for future improvements.

It will have the added benefit that air leaks can be fixed with a quick coat of wax/plastic heated to liquid, sprayed around the leak, & allowed to dry.

Just be sure to include all the LEGO Technics you'll need to make a centerfuge & the proper flush toilets inside.

*Deep breath*

AreYouDoneYet?Areyoudoneyet?Areyoudoneyet? HowAboutNow?Howaboutnow?Howaboutnow? I call shotgun! =-D

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like