back to article Regulations and compliance are 'a curate's egg' for digital transformation, say IT pros in finance, telecoms and public sector

For highly regulated industries, compliance is seen as a hurdle to digital transformation yet it's also viewed as one of the key drivers for modernisation efforts, at least according to an IBM study. This seemingly paradoxical finding is from a UK survey by IBM and research firm Censuswide looking at the biggest drivers and …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"it is critical for companies to avoid vendor lock-in"

This coming from IBM.

Wow.

2. Chris Miller
    Headmaster

Curate's eggs

It's modern usage that connects this expression to something that's a mixture of good and bad. Very few today will have encountered a 'bad egg' (I never have in 60 years of eating boiled eggs), but if you're unfortunate enough to do so, you'll be left in no doubt that there are no 'parts that are edible'', unlike say an apple where a small soft part can be cut out. It should (pedantically) be used to refer to a situation where one bad part ruins the whole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curate%27s_egg

1. HildyJ Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Curate's eggs

I had to look that up.

Thanks to ElReg for giving me another example of GBS's "two nations separated by a common language".

It seems to be a useful expression but I don't see it catching on in the States. Most people wouldn't even recognize the Curate it applies to.

3. TRT Silver badge

As I was just saying to a technical sales person this morning...

in relation to their discussion around POCs... you don't get buy-in until you have a good POC, and if you have a good POC, good enough that it shows your product/solution is a must-have, then what you really want is to NOT have to spend 6 to 12 months on paperwork and regulatory frameworks etc etc before adoption and then having to rebuild your thingamabob from the ground up etc etc, because this is how temporary solutions become permanent. You want your POC to be scaleable / transferrable to the working system rapidly, seamlessly and with the various diagrams, requirements, service models etc understood and defined instead of playing pass the ball between vendor, user, IT-requirements/regulations team.

4. jmch Silver badge

startup vs incumbent

For small startups, regulation is stuff that gets in the way of doing things fast and exploiting or creating niches that big enterprises haven't entered yet.

For all that outwardly big corporations might complain about regulation, they actually like it because they can operate with some predictability, including (or maybe even especially) having their compliance and legal teams sign off on whatever they're up to. They don't generally like operating in legal grey areas.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: startup vs incumbent

Also, being able to be meet regulator's demands is a core competency of large corporations. It's expensive to realise so is a barrier to entry for smaller players.

5. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Holmes

"As regulations continue to advance, it is critical for companies to [...] adopt hybrid multi-cloud strategies" said Howard Boville, IBM's senior veep of Hybrid Cloud.

Do I smell a conflict of interest there?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022