back to article January edition of Azure Sphere OS cancelled after Microsoft actually listens to customer's complaint

Microsoft has cancelled the latest release of Azure Sphere OS, its take on securing IoT devices, citing problems reported by a customer during evaluation. Far be it from us to wonder if that is THE Azure Sphere customer, or one of a multitude. After all, if an IoT device has a borked connection, but nobody is using the thing, …

1. the spectacularly refined chap Silver badge

IoT -> real world consequences

Hmmm, I'll admit I am that sad bastard that read ENC28J60 and immediately thought "but that's a Microchip 10BASE-T serial part". Not being familiar with Azure Sphere I couldn't see the relevance.

Looking into it I can see why they may be hesitant. It's the kind of thing that could brick a device during a firmware update. On a PC or server they have got used to getting away with it, the denials of liability in the EULA may or may not hold legal water but when any mess is generally easily recovered there is little motivation to test that in court.

In lower level embedded stuff there may not be the same recovery options. That's a particular concern for something using that sort of chip since it's not something I'd expect to see in mass market stuff. 10BASE-T these days is short run niche or even bespoke stuff. We're not talking fridges or toasters here but industrial plant and instrumentation. Pricey stuff with potentially pricey consequences if it goes wrong.

2. Snake Silver badge
    Mushroom

LOL

"After all, if an IoT device has a borked connection, but nobody is using the thing, can it truly be said to have borked at all?"

Ouch, the shade!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, it appears Microsoft does have quality standards

No, they don't, a _customer_ found a basic broken network issue

1. redpawn Silver badge

Re: Yes, it appears Microsoft does have quality standards

Of course they have a standard; "If it's Shiny it Ships!" Someone just took the gloss off, that's all.

4. simonlb
    Stop

Overkill?

"because, frankly, Windows was (and is) a bit lardy and overkill for such purposes"

because, frankly, Windows was (and is) a bit lardy and overkill utter shit for such purposes.

FTFY

1. spireite Silver badge

Re: Overkill?

Not wrong, the number of digital advertising screens that run a flavour of Windows (Pro, Enterprise at that) is probably going to be surprising.

One such company wanted to go to W10 (having run W7) on them and the techs were having none of it, threw a tantrum, insisting ona Linux flavour.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022