back to article A slice is better than none: Apple gives in, allows third-party app billing systems in Korea, per local law

Apple has finally caved to Korea's telecommunication regulator and agreed to allow third-party in-app billing systems in South Korea thus complying with a local law. The iGiant told The Register: Apple has a great deal of respect for Korea's laws and a strong history of collaboration with the country's talented app …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iGiant told something to ElReg?

Hang on, if Apple actually communicated with The Register, that in itself is a news story.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: iGiant told something to ElReg?

Blimey! Better be on the lookout for porcine aviation, extremely low temperatures in the underworld and riders of horses in quantities that are simultaneously more than three and fewer than five.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: iGiant told something to ElReg?

But where did the riders get their coconuts from?

2. Rich 2 Silver badge

Corporate shite speak

“ Apple has a great deal of respect for Korea's laws and….blah blah bla”

Why do companies still bother to release such completely meaningless and vacuous statements? They would be better off saving everyone’s time and energy and say nothing at all. Or (heaven forbid!) be honest and say “We were happy screwing you over but unfortunately the law disagreed with our methods”

3. VicMortimer Silver badge
    Big Brother

Doesn't fix the real problem.

Unfortunately, this doesn't fix the real problem. Apple is still allowed to keep you from installing software on your iPhone from any source other than the Apple app store even in Korea.

I honestly don't care if Apple takes 90% of in-app purchases made through their app store if their app store monopoly can be eliminated. Fix that, and I'll find a way to buy an iPhone from whatever country does it first.

1. Totally not a Cylon
      Mushroom

Re: Doesn't fix the real problem.

That problem is purely between your ears.

Many people, including myself, buy and specify iPhones and other Apple products because of the app store and Apple's protective policies.

There is currently choice in the smartphone market between closed Apple and open Android; this is a good thing. But various shouty idiots want to rip that choice away from people.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Err, no-one is suggesting that you be forced to install from anywhere else - or even be forced to turn on the setting that allows it. So if you want to stick to your walled garden, where you use the software Apple decides you should be allowed to use*, and pay through the nose for that control - then you'll be able to carry on.

When I decided that my old Palm Treo was past it it was a hard choice what to replace it with. In the end, I decided that getting shafted by Google was much the same as getting shafted by Apple and went Android. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro and also have an old iPad - I've been an Apple user for longer than the Mac has existed.

* And yes, I've been in a situation where Apple's policy was that I could not run the piece of software I wanted to run on my iPad - to do a specific task, and which still cannot be done on an iThing. I was able to jailbreak my old iPad and run the software from a third party repository - but that caused issues (such as needing to tether and unlock it every time it was rebooted). I can do that task easily without hassle on Android. It's that really rare activity (yes, that's sarcasm) of surveying wireless networks - a staple of being a network engineer.

2. Falmari Silver badge

@Totally not a Cylon “Many people, including myself, buy and specify iPhones and other Apple products because of the app store and Apple's protective policies.”

How is having the choice of installing software on your iPhone from other sources than just Apple’s app store rip away the choice of using Apple’s store for its ‘protective policies’?

Being able to get apps from outside Apple’s app store is just more choice the choice of Apple’s store for their “protective policies” or another source that is cheaper. Surely more choice is good.

Now you may be worried that users will get their apps from other sources rather than from Apple causing Apple’s store to close, so you lose those ‘protective policies’. If that was to be the case, I would argue that users are not choosing Apple for their store’s ‘protective policies’ and they use Apple’s store only because they have no choice. Because when given a choice cheaper apps or more expensive apps for those ‘protective policies’ they chose cheaper rather than pay for those ‘protective policies’.

Personally I don’t believe being able to install apps from alternative sorces will kill Apple’s app store and you will still be able to choose it and get those ‘protective policies’ .

3. Captain Scarlet
        Childcatcher

Weird every time we asked someone to give a reason why they needed an iPhone instead of a Windows Phone/Android the store wasn't one of them.

In most cases it was they just wanted something shiny or couldn't use Windows/Android (Even though to me they are all the fecking same usage wise, a deliberately crippled system designed to rinse as much cash out of you as possible)

4. katrinab Silver badge

On MacOS, you have to go into the Control Centre to enable to the option to install from third-party sources. That seems to work fine. I believe Android has something similar.

4. Jim Whitaker

Now is the time for all other countries to enact (or enforce) a similar law.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like