back to article All your database are belong to us: Snowflake named DBMS of the year by DB-Engines

Snowflake, that cloud-only data warehouse much loved by investors, has been named DBMS of the Year for 2021 by tracker site DB-Engines. Once valued at $120bn, Snowflake has not only produced the first software-as-a-service to win the accolade, but it is also the first data-warehouse focused product that makes it into the top …

1. spireite Silver badge

I would suggest that if Oracle has led the ranking since the creation of this ranking system, that the phrase 'popularity' is a little looser in defintion.

I can't think of anyone in my dev circles who would touch it with the proverbial bargepole.

1. trevorde Silver badge

Oracle 'popularity'

Most mentions of Oracle are:

How can I replace Oracle?

We're having an Oracle licence audit...

2. .stu

Snowflakes

I will win next year by naming my database COVID. The online mentions will be through the roof

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Snowflakes

Common Object Virtual Internet Database

I can see the PR teams working on their buzzword brochures already :)

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Usual blah, blah

if you are not stuck in the relational system thinking, and decided to quickly select the database system, it may be a good choice to go with MongoDB especially if developers decide they don't need a database administrator…

Relation databases are not some kind of ideology but products based on solid mathematical principles. Normalisation, atomicity, referential integrity, etc. solve a lot of problems that are otherwise largely unsolvable. And any database without some kind of administrator is an accident waiting to happen. There may be a market for processing lots of transient data, but it's not a database market.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022