back to article Northern Ireland aims to break free from BT's 27-year reign with £125m procurement of land registry systems

Northern Ireland's Land and Property Services, part of the Department of Finance, is planning an IT procurement worth up to £125m to replace an ageing BT system running since 1999. Costs on the BT contract to build and run LandWeb, a land registry system, more than doubled since it was first signed more than two decades ago …

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Let me guess

It'll be handed to Crapita and/or Oracle, who will promise a better & cheaper service yet deliver neither, and deliver it late?

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Re: Let me guess

Cynical, but almost certainly correct.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

EXCEL has to be involved somewhere, shirley?

2. jollyboyspecial Bronze badge

What do you mean deliver it late? More than likely it will go to Capita and there will be such appalling project creep that it will not actually be completed by the time the contract comes to an end and the whole thing gets handed to a new contractor (probably Oracle).

1. HildyJ Silver badge
        Facepalm

You forgot the next phase when it still isn't completed and it's given back to BT based on their experience on the system they will still be trying to replace.

3. My-Handle Silver badge

You wonder how good a system could be built by a handful of the El Reg commentariat. I mean, Capita don't exactly set a high bar. Might need to include the long-term rent of an entire pub in the contract though.

2. PPCNI

For more info on how this part of the world is run see - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/nov/13/burned-cash-for-ash-scandal-sam-mcbride

3. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Big Brother

27 Year Old System

Having no experience (Google failed to find a website for it) with this I assume its been developed since and kept updated at least partly?

Otherwise that will be a proper Web 1.0 experience

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: 27 Year Old System

I hope so, I would expect a database of roll numbers, address, owners, last transfer and a download of a map - ideally not just a low res scan of a pen+ink drawing from 1790

I don't want a Web 3.0 interactive virtual interface on the block chain

2. jollyboyspecial Bronze badge

There won't be a website for it because the system was specced long before everything was online and self service. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

I would hope that in the last 27 years with the extra million quid somebody managed to screen scrape the 1998 punch card and teletype terminal interface into a web page

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

how many millions?

I worked on the original (Tony Blair-era) NLIS for England and Wales way back in 1999.

6 people on the central hub, 5 on the "channel". Both were Oracle-db and Java-based (and therefore bug-ridden), but it more-or less worked.

Delivered in 9 months from contract award. You'd be hard-pressed to spend more than £3M.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: how many millions?

Yeahbut, now it has to be all interconnected with the Social Security system, the Import/Export system, the Police National Computer and the local Council bin collections system. Oh,and it simply MUST be VR and AR ready and powered by AI from the cloud. Everything is "connected".

Re: how many millions?

And use the official Government Digital Font

5. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

LandWeb

BT just need to rename it CloudWeb and add a few noughts onto the price.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022