back to article Planning on buying a new motor? Chip shortages set to hit UK carmakers this year and next

The global chip shortage is likely to have an impact throughout this year and into 2023, affecting some sectors worse than others, with UK car sales likely to be one of those hit. According to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), the UK car market continued to be plagued by the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Is it too much to hope that they'd bridge the gap by releasing new models without all the smart stuff the buyers don't necessarily need or even want?

1. Captain Scarlet

Or at least consolidate some functions into few chips/seperate systems

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The UK has carmakers?

Let's see... Rolls? Nope, German. Cooper? German. Bentley? German. Vauxhall? Dutch/French/Chinese. Jaguar, Land Rover? Indian. MG? Chinese.

Huh, looks like you've still got Aston Martin and Mclaren. So, expensive and breaks a lot, typically British cars.

1. mmonroe

There is Morgan and Caterham too.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shortages in 2022?

Down here in the antipodes there are whole car yards devoid of stock.

It’s been like that for ages.

I’ve put off my new car until 2023/24.

I just hope she’s not in a prang…

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"planning to increase their inventory levels"

Ah, so having stock is getting back into fashion now ?

Looks like the beancounters have come around to realize that the cost of stock is less than the cost of not doing business.

Never too late, I guess.

1. John Miles

Re: "planning to increase their inventory levels"

give it a few years and they'll forget that.

In their drive to get the leanest possible company they forget you need a certain amount of "slack" in organisation to avoid being too fragile, but then that doesn't matter if you move on with nice bonuses before the brown stuff hits the fan.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I don't think it's a question of forgetting it, or even of fashion, precisely.

The problem is that while the supply chain is robust, you can have very tight supply arrangements, reduce your margins, push your prices down, and grab market share. That's the Walmart recipe. Eventually you drive competitors out in many of your markets, and you have a dominant position.

Whey the supply chain is broken, you're hosed, as we've seen all over the place for the past couple of years. But your competitors — what remains of them — are in the same boat.

So: during lean times, everyone suffers; during flush times, you grab market share and crush your competition.

And because the equity markets strongly reward short-term performance, it doesn't make business sense to plan for the long term. You'll be out-competed by the short-termers.

Basically it's a Prisoner's Dilemma, where the defectors gradually kill off the compiliers. Capitalism has evolved into a system with perverse incentives. Which is precisely what we should expect, because any sufficiently-complex system is always inevitably in a failure mode (see e.g. Braess's Paradox).

1. John Miles

It is not a robust chain they need it is a beholden one and a reasonably steady demand. While the shutdown caused shortages, the problems they are seeing are a result of reducing their orders to their suppliers. The suppliers of key components weren't going to take the hit so started looking for other customers, now they want to ramp up their own production the key suppliers aren't just going switch back to supplying them as they have other orders on the book.

Just in time is not about reducing inventory - it is about pushing the risks onto the supplier and they are now dealing with the fallout when suppliers don't quietly take the hit

5. Death_Ninja

Demand

From what I've seen demand for new cars is definitely there as always, but many people are put off once they are told that either the delivery date cannot be defined or they get spun some bs about it being 3 months only for it to keep slipping or in some cases being told its 40+ weeks.

And thats fairly universal across all marques too - and nothing exotic either!!

Off the back of that, a lot of people are not ordering or cancelling orders and keeping their current car a bit longer.

6. Frank Leonhardt

Wot chip shortage? I'm calling BS.

We've all seen the mass media going on about a chip shortage - or "crisis" as everything seems to be called these days. Silicon chips are unobtainable, apparently. And industry leaders are blaming their inability to meet demand for products on the "chip shortage". But does this mean we should believe them?

Industry leaders are brilliant at blaming their mistakes on outside factors. Chips, and IT in general, is an obvious scapegoat.

It's important to differentiate between a "chip shortage" and demand outstripping supply for particular ICs. Cryptocurrency mining is soaking up GPUs like there's no tomorrow, so you could say there's a GPU supply crisis. The the boyz will have to make do with plain old HD murder simulators for a while.

The automotive sector always had an interesting supply chain. They beat the price down to the last penny and order "just enough" semiconductors meet their anticipated demand - if they guess wrong then it's on them.

And then there are the usual "flood/fire/zombie invasion" stories on silicon foundries that accompany every supply crisis. I'm not having it.

The facts (remember "facts" from the old days?) tell a different story when you look at the units shipped. Okay, this lumps in NVidia GPUs with 741 op-amps but it still paints a picture.

2019 976bn units shipped

2020 1002bn units shipped

2021 1135bn units shipped

So, if there's a semiconductor supply crisis, please tell me which semiconductors are actually out of stock?

1. OAB

Re: Wot chip shortage? I'm calling BS.

Supply numbers mean nothing with demand numbers, you facts are pointless, I can't use 741 op-amps in a graphics card.

7. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Planning on buying a new motor?

Not if it comes with a damn touchscreen, and it seems most of them do.

I expect to be driving for a few decades yet. I don't expect to ever purchase another new car.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like