back to article Intel rolls out new Alder Lake chips for laptops, desktops

Intel went mega with its latest round of Alder Lake chip releases, announcing 60 processors that will be used in 500 new laptops and desktops. The new 12th-gen Core processors are part of a new family of chips that Intel claims is its biggest architectural shift in generations. The 10nm-node processors feature a hybrid CPU …

1. ShadowSystems

What about desktop use?

The Big.Little style is supposed to be good for mobile chipsets to maximize battery life, but what about desktops with no such constraints?

If you're running a purely air cooled sipper in a SmartPhone then I can see why you might want one, but if you're running a liquid cooled, clock speed overclocked to be balls to the wall, then I can't see the point.

Is a desktop version of the "new" CPU worth the bother?

1. Steve K

Re: What about desktop use?

You are still conserving power in the desktop use case.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

And conserving power means they run cooler which should allow for greater overclocking.

It'll be interesting to see what the liquid nitrogen crew ca do with it.

2. big_D Silver badge

Given the sudden hike in electricity prices last year (over 60% increase, here in Germany), moving to more energy efficient devices is a no-brainer.

Having the power there, when it is needed, but using lower power and energy efficient cores, when there is no need to run the high performance cores still makes a lot of sense.

3. _LC_
      Headmaster

Didn't they make fun of it in the past or is my memory deceiving me?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's kinda what I've been hoping for since the early 2000s. Now all the background activity that takes CPU time from "the main event" can live on the efficiency cores, and the performance cores are "all mine" (mwah-ha-ha).

OK Windows being Windows that might still be a pipe-dream, but it seems to be one step closer. My hope is not not only will progress of an application that uses the main cores will not be stuttery, but also there will be less frequent context switching (if ever) so that application's data will stay hot in cache.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah......advertising..........

Link: https://www.zdnet.com/article/minix-intels-hidden-in-chip-operating-system/

......from the people who brought you embedded Minix....and who knows what other serious security issues.........

......but, of course, this announcement is NEW, it's SHINY, and the fanbois will (of course) LOVE IT......until the next security alert!!!

Why am I not surprised?

1. Nate Amsden

Re: Ah......advertising..........

What makes you think the fanbois care about those security issues? I'm not a fanboi of intel and don't care about these new chips but the sidechannel attacks have been way overblown.

Unless perhaps you are the target of a nation state actor, which of course 99.999% are not. And if you are a target well there are easier ways to get at your stuff than that.

There's much more concerning things to worry about at higher levels as the recent log4j thing shows.

3. tip pc Silver badge

Too little too late

Anyone running long loads on these things will find the first few minutes will be hugely fast then thermal throttling will grind it to a halt.

TSMC are the big winners here followed by Apple then AMD.

At this moment the AMD offering looks more attractive

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too little too late

Err, this is 10nm (finally), so power/performance should be on a par with AMD 10nm CPUs.

Intel have definitely caught up but I'll wait for more comparative reviews before forming a view on whether AMD or Intel is ahead.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't trust Intel anymore.

It doesn't materr if there are a million variants. 60 ways to confuse your customers, including processors with crippled features so they can upgrade to a pay forever subscription model.

I don't trust Intel any longer, secret backdoors are now public knowledge, ip stacks, web servers running when the machine is not plugged in. Do we have to remove notebook batteries now if we want our computer off?

Does the processor you can't control check-in using the power available from the internal cmos battery or a supercap recharged every time you ug your pc in?

Looking forward to the new generations of RISC-V

1. chasil

AMD does the same thing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Platform_Security_Processor

...and they do it using ARM's design, inside an ARM core.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#Security_extensions

If you want a commercial CPU that is clean and open, then you will have to buy a SPARC. I think that the T2 is the best available.

https://www.oracle.com/servers/technologies/opensparc-overview.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like