back to article Sage to acquire remaining stake in ecommerce platform Brightpearl for £225m

UK accounting software outfit Sage today said it had agreed to acquire the remaining stake in Brightpearl, providers of cloud-based retail software, for $299m (£225m). Sage already owns 17 per cent of the e-commerce software specialist but is set to acquire the remaining 83 per cent, funded from Sage's existing cash and …

  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

    And yet other than Sage Pay, no Sage accountancy app is listed on Brightpearl's site!

    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

      We are in the process of moving to Brightpearl at the moment. They were quite anti-Sage during the onboarding process...

    2. Captain Scarlet

      Its not surprising, the majority of Sage's software has been purchased rather than written from scratch, so for instants Sage Line 10, is actually completely different to Sage Line 200 also to Line 500/1000 or Sage X3.

      Sage has grown through acquisitions for as long as I have known them

      1. carolinahomes

        Why re-invent the wheel when the wheel is up for purchase?

        My single venture into it has been through Sage BusinessWorks, which had worked flawlessly for the duration I was at my previous employer. The two most significant advantages over other software is the Separation of Duties ability, and the inability to delete transactions (they must be backed-out properly, instead). How I wish my current employer was interested in those benefits, among numerous others.

        1. katrinab Silver badge

          Well, lets say you are a small business, and you use one of Sage's small business packages.

          Your business is really successful, and you become a medium-sized or large business, and their small business solution no longer works your.

          Moving up to one of their large business solutions, you would want basically the same thing with additional modules and better multi-user support. But you have completely different chart of accounts, completely different reporting and data analysis, completely different integration with third-party stuff.

  2. SarKatush

    I think switching to Brightpearl is worth it. It offers a complete back-office solution that includes financial and sales order management, customer relationship management (CRM), purchasing and supplier management, order fulfillment, warehouse, and logistics

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

  • Enter your comment

  • Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like