back to article PC market pulls past peak pandemic demand, and IDC says it will keep growing

While the PC market is cooling following two straight years of double-digit growth spurred by the COVID-19 pandemic, analyst firm International Data Corporation (IDC) has predicted shipments will continue to grow over the next five years. The analyst firm's latest Worldwide Quarterly Personal Computing Device Tracker predicts …

1. lglethal Silver badge
    Mushroom

The only reason gamers are driving sales is because often the only way to get a new graphics card is to buy an entire new damn PC!

Bloody Crypto miners!!!

No I'm not bitter about having to wait ages to buy a new Graphics Card at anything resembling a reasonable price, why do you ask?

1. Lon24 Silver badge

Maybe. But the real driving force, I suspect, is gaming is the only segment that really needs Moore's (attenuated) Law to keep up with both the advances provided by the developers and the competitive need for their rig to be up, or in front, of ones peers. Hence the rapidity of upgrades is governed only by availability and one's pocket. And leisure spend is usually more generous than business/utility spend.

Whereas for business and straight personal client/browser/email usage - almost any old kit will suffice until it dies or goes unsupported. Indeed I noted that during the height of the pandemic - just how many retired laptops and desktops were recycled into use and found 'good enough'. Even Win10's eol in 2025 will mostly effect kit 6 or more years old so the trend on longer replacement cycles will probably continue and further distort the traditional PC market towards gaming.

Also the miners are also probably classified into the gaming segment.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

that is so true - the number of managers wandering the corridors with i7 laptops or new Macbooks for status is ridiculous when all they need is something just about able to boot a web browser into Office 365. Thin clients would save them a fortune. Even in a technical role, if I can't run my stuff on an i3 then I need considerably more hardware than any desktop pc can provide, but I have a $2,000 laptop and no high performance computing budget. We seem to be in a period of change, similar to when companies transitioned from mainframes but in reverse, and it would be a good time for corporate IT departments to evolve beyond Windows desktop support.

2. Wade Burchette Silver badge

Well, this confirms it ...

"While the PC market is cooling following two straight years of double-digit growth spurred by the COVID-19 pandemic, analyst firm International Data Corporation (IDC) has predicted shipments will continue to grow over the next five years."

Well, this confirms it. PC shipments will slow soon. The track record of these analyst firms like IDC is currently not good. I would love to have a business where I am never right, and yet people still pay me to provide predictions. Seriously, why does anyone give IDC's prediction any weight considering how they are always wrong?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Well, this confirms it ...

"but tablets are turgid"

And weren't we told that nobody needed a new PC because they (or at least non-gamers) could now do what they needed on a tablet and cloud?

2. HildyJ Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Hey, it works for Gartner.

Seriously, the life cycle for business and education computers, especially in the wake of the WFH purchases, may very well lead to a decline in shipments for the next few years. Gamers and miners, and their graphics upgrades, aren't able to support the growth on their own.

(icon for the IDC)

3. DS999 Silver badge

Yep I don't know who they think they are fooling. PC sales have been declining since about 2010, and for the first five years of that trend they kept predicting growth.

The reasons that fewer PCs were bought each year haven't changed, the pandemic was a big black swan that caused businesses to buy laptops for WFH employees and parents/schools to buy computers for remote learning.

The average computer in daily use is now newer than it has been for years at least in the US, but there's no reason the replacement cycle will have shortened. More likely it will continue to lengthen. Surely they can't be dumb enough to think that Windows 11 is going to drive upgrades?

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Are they sure the only reason the PC market seems to be cooling is the bottleneck in components?

4. David Roberts

Graphics?

My ramshackle stable of aged and truly ancient PCs seem to be able to cope with everyday computing

The only area where they could do with a performance boost is in graphics.

Which seems to be the only area at the moment where the prices are ridiculously high.

I thought crypto mining had moved away from graphics cards.

Are they lying to me?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022