back to article Oz Feds reveal distribution model behind backdoored 'An0m' chat app spread by crims

Australia's Federal Police force has revealed more about how it distributed a backdoored chat app to criminals. The app, named An0m, was revealed in June 2021 when Australia's Feds (AFP), the FBI and European authorities revealed they'd combined to convince crims the software allowed secure communications. The app ran on …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I can imagine the feelings of those who set the whole thing up having the details of their work being blown like that unless, of course, it's as distraction from a successor.

1. Bitsminer Bronze badge

On the contrary.

The sophistication of a multi-level distribution system seems a little bit beyond the normal day-to-day of a police agency. I wonder who they subcontracted it to? Mary Kay perhaps?

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Big Brother

My Rule of Thumb

I avoid any encryption algorithm or system promoted by the US government and validated by the NSA as being "safe to use."

1. Mister Dubious
      Big Brother

Re: My Rule of Thumb

Iyay ickstay otay iedtray andyay uetray encryptionay ethodsmay.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Coat

Re: My Rule of Thumb

Wot?

That's good. Have you published the algorithm?

3. very angry man

my oath

The AFP's announcement of its progress also offers the observation that "Criminals have moved to other encrypted devices" and predicts "It is likely some large syndicates will develop their own dedicated encrypted communication devices and private networks within the next three years."

My fuck'n oath they will they have just shown them just how profitable it will be, and if AFP can do it , it's not that hard.

1. Insert sadsack pun here

Re: my oath

Ha ha ha true - but they've also destroyed all confidence in the market that anything can be trusted!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022