back to article Quill users advised to export chat history before servers turned off for Twitter buyout

Twitter has acquired another dotcom – this time business-oriented, low-distraction text/audio/video chat service Quill.chat. Neither company said how much cash changed hands. Quill.chat – no, not that Quill – only stuck its head above the parapet in April 2020 and launched on 23 February this year, so it may not be missed by …

1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Flame

Bastardry?

...it's shutting down its servers and deleting everything.

...most are never seen or heard of again.

The first would suggest that Tw@ter haven't bought Quill for their service. The second that using their clout to buy up anything that looks like a competitor, just to shut it down, is business as usual at Tw@ter.

Looks a lot like the business model of a right bunch of evil, festering, scumbag bastards to me.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Bastardry?

This is exactly the kind of thing regulators have said they were going to start cracking down on. Hard to "undo" such a transaction with the competitor a smoking crater, but if they made fines several times the size of the acquisition that might get some to take notice.

I mean if its a $250 million acquisition a fine of $750 million might not seem to be a big deal for a company like Twitter, but it would make any future plans to eliminate competition 4x as expensive which would at least reduce how often they feel it makes sense to do.

2. fxkeh

Re: Bastardry?

I love a bit of Twitter bashing as much as the next person, but how is Quill a competitor to Twitter? It's a business IRC-like thing rather than a social network.

Twitter is about the only big tech company that *doesn't* have a competing chat room/group type product (other than maybe Netflix, I guess). Perhaps they just wanted one too.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    FAIL

(don't mention Lync or Skype for Business)

No need to mention them. Even with full blown O365 licenses active they are still in my Enterprise Windows 10 Start menu along with Xbox Game Bar and Xbox Console Companion. It's almost like Microsoft does not want us to use Enterprise licensed software to do actual work.

256GB OS drive and I have 32 GB free. Downloads and Docs are on another drive, so lord knows where my space has gone.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: (don't mention Lync or Skype for Business)

"No need to mention them. Even with full blown O365 licenses active they are still in my Enterprise Windows 10 Start menu [...] 256GB OS drive and I have 32 GB free"

That's all down to your employer's IT admins, their choices and (in)competence.

My Win10 Enterprise laptop at work has plenty of software I don't necessarily use, but when Skype for Business was decommissioned earlier this year, it was automatically uninstalled from all the computers. I think I still have closer to 150GB free on my 256GB SSD there.

Skype for Business is/was available as an on-prem server and is still getting several years of support. Some companies still keep on using it. Since S4B supplanted Lync years ago, perhaps there are just old icons left in your Start menu for some reason?

2. Alumoi Silver badge

Ever tried to clean up space? cleanmgr /sageset:1, select all that applies, cleanmgr /sagerun:1 and you'll see a lot of free space. Also set your TMP and TEMP to the same folder, both for user and for system and make sure you clean it from time to time. Also delete everything in LiveKernelReport folder in Windows.

And that's for starters.

1. hoola Silver badge

A lot depends on the polices applied if this is a corporate device.

What we are supplied with is so restricted you can barely do anything useful with it.,

3. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Where do Twatter get the moniezzzz to buy out other companies?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like