back to article What if it could be SysAdmin Day, every day? Would anyone actually notice?

System Administrator Appreciation Day has run on the last Friday of July, every year since July 28, 2000. What did you get for Sysadmin Day this year? What do you mean, you were elbows deep, patching hundreds of remote laptops that you know have been a ticking security time bomb since the company went into lockdown in March, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Tim99 Silver badge
    Trollface

Hmm...

The skills level within many companies has been reduced over all, Stremlau continues. And fewer techies at entry level mean even fewer skilled techies moving up the organisation over time. "We've lost a lot of people that still understand those little lines of code, DOS scripts, and scripting capabilities."

This leaves companies looking for help with even the most mundane tasks. That help is even harder to find as a result of Covid. And harder to deliver when the end user workforce is largely at home.

Theory tells us that supply and demand should tend to set the price of labour in the market - So, techies have had a massive pay-rise?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm...

They do if they move; I shifted twice this year. I was definitely underpaid at my original company and got a rise with a move to a second. It turned out to be a disaster of an organisation that sold themselves well but were a shitshow so I moved quickly again. By the time I got to my second new job I was on around 25% more than the original. This is probably a bit of an outlier, but salaries *are* rising through scarcity and demand.

Per Dominic's articles here, no one is ever going to give you a lump like that for staying - the rewards are only there for those prepared to move on as companies realise they have to update their payscales as people move on. Polish up the CV and get out there; the market is buoyant.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022