back to article Alibaba exec accused of mishandling sexual assault case wants alleged victim to apologise

A former Alibaba exec accused of mishandling a report of sexual assault from a female employee has now sued the plaintiff for damage to his reputation and sought an apology, according to Chinese media reports. Chinese publication ThePaper.cn, a news outlet partially funded by the Cyberspace Administration of China, reported …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I erm... Yeah.

On the one hand people who make false accusations perhaps shouldn't be allowed to get away with it, as many lives have been ruined this way and the accuser gets off scot free.

... But wouldn't it be more acceptable to wait until you're found innocent, or the case has been thrown out for lack of evidence before doing this? Now it looks less like a cause for justice and more like a deliberate attempt to smear the reputation of the accuser.

1. Ian 69

I agree but..

To be honest, if I thought I was falsely accused I'd probably go all out to defend myself and as they say the best form of defence is a good offence - even though there's supposed to be a presumption of innocence I'd still be terrified of an accusation like this.

Cards on the table, I'm no oil painting and I've, unbelievably had a very drunk and quite (I really hate to say but haven't the wit to state a better term) desperate woman literally chase me down the street and I'm so glad I was clear headed enough at the time not to do what she was asking of me that I honestly don't know what to think on this.

Perhaps this is an example of where at the very least a legal conviction should be required before commenting or actioning? If it turns out he warrants censure then absolutely that must happen but I have to say this strikes me as something so important that we must be as close to surety as possible before saving/condemning someone?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The case was thrown out by the Chinese prosecution, because they found that "forcible indecency" did not constitute a crime. The guy was still kept 15 days in jail, because apparently, somebody felt he deserved it.

And they decided that the woman was not forced to become drunk. That, frankly, is laughable: in the traditional corporate Chinese environment, an underling cannot refuse to drink at a company's dinner without consequences.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-58471978

2. Phones Sheridan Silver badge

“ appears not to have trained male staff not to assault their colleagues.”

How do you train someone not to be a criminal? Would all the prisons be empty if the current residents had simply received proper training?

1. You aint sin me, roit
      Unhappy

It's a response to victim blaming

Don't get drunk, don't go there, don't wear that, make sure your drink wasn't spiked, don't walk home alone... take self-defence lessons...

But never don't rape women, dont spike drinks, don't take advantage of drunk women. It should go without saying, but because these things happen maybe it does need to be said. It's a topsy turvy world where the cause is never addressed, only precautions that the victim should have taken.

Nobody is saying that women shouldn't use common sense, but if a colleague had too much to drink I'd like to think I'd help them get home and not see it as an opportunity for sex.

Not commenting on this particular case, I don't know what happened there, just in general.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a response to victim blaming

Raping someone is illegal and if found guilty you go away for a long time..... so it seems to me that as a society we do say "don't rape".

I do, however, agree that we should continue to teach about consent when we teach about sex.

2. Ian 69

Re: It's a response to victim blaming

Again, I agree but my early years were always don't steal, don't hurt people, don't assume you can have what you want without asking permission and ultimately don't take things that aren't yours or think you can make people do things they don't want.

I never had a 'Don't spike drinks'' or 'Don't take advantage' because that's just something you're not allowed to do to anyone as part of the above and lets be honest anyone willing to do that damn well knows it's not acceptable but is doing it anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In China, the first step is really obvious: stop having business dinners with lots of strong alcohol that attendants cannot refuse to drink.

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Presumed guilty till found innocent

Typical of today's cancel culture , immediately treated as guilty.... and even where innocence can be proven , its treated as less important.

I understand that people have causes but they need to remain just...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile Shuai Peng....

.... is being "trained" to "forgive" her assaulter...

5. Trigun

People are accused of crimes all the time; Sometimes correctly, sometimes erroneously and sometimes maliciously.

The manager in this case deserves his day in court without being prejudged. Equally, the accuser's motivations should also not be prejudged.

Why? Because we don't have the facts and all of us would like to treated fairly under the law and by society.

I say this because this part of the article: "appears not to have trained male staff not to assault their colleagues" indicates bias/prejudgement. It's a mentality that is all too common since "me too" and can potentially lead to great injustice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To be fair, I think that comment is in response to 'Alibaba also implemented self-defense training for female staff' rather than any pre-judging of the case

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In that case, the facts are well-known and not disputed. The prosecutors chose to drop the case because they labeled what happened "forcible indecency" and decided it's not a crime.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like