back to article Santa's sack is bulging with browsers: Vivaldi 5.0 arrives full of festive cheer

"I don't think we have any business with collecting information about what people are doing," Vivaldi CEO Jon von Tetzchner told The Register as its eponymous browser pushed out a major version update today. The latest increment includes new themes and translations, although we put it to von Tetzchner that perhaps there wasn't …

1. Slions

Did they fix the broken Ctrl+Tab behaviour? They can take a look at the Fulguris implementation if they need help with that.

1. ZenaB

What's wrong with the behaviour? You can swap between last used and tab order, if thats what you mean..?

2. thejoelr

I switched to Vivaldi and I like it quite a bit. There are issues, but ones I can deal with. The translation is neat, especially compared to google's official extension which requires manual intervention for each page.

3. Zebo-the-Fat

Nice

Been using Vivaldi for about 18 months and like it a lot, will be downloading the update today

4. nautica Silver badge
    Happy

Is this a (somewhat) lightweight browser?

Just downloaded v. 5.

Download process states that ver. 5.0 is an 82.9 MB download.

I thought that most "modern" browsers were much larger than this. If true, this would be a compelling reason---for me, at any rate---to use Vivaldi.

1. aidanstevens

Re: Is this a (somewhat) lightweight browser?

The 80MB update I think is the full installer, you must have missed a version because the incremental updates are a quarter of that.

5. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Windows

As a Presto lover

Is it worth giving Vivaldi a go yet?

1. aidanstevens

Re: As a Presto lover

I've never used Presto but it's hard to concieve that anything could be better for power users than Vivaldi.

2. techulture

Re: As a Presto lover

If you mean the original Opera and not specifically the rendering engine, then my answer is yes. I used Firefox for quite some time but Vivaldi returned just in time when Firefox messed up sidebars, tabs and plugins.

That said, from a web standards perspective I would prefer if Vivaldi used Gecko instead of Blink as rendering engine, but I suppose it was easier to base the overall browser on Chromium rather than Firefox.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still contains some Googliness

"It's looking at what people are doing, and I don't think we have any business with collecting information about what people are doing." - While their pro-privacy stance is highly commendable, be aware that out of the box Vivaldi still comes with quite a lot of dubious Google-powered "services" switched on by default, that you'll need to go into the settings and disable if you want to reduce Evil G's data slurping. And, as far as I know, Vivaldi will still do nothing to stop all those dubious Google (etc) domains that too many site 'developers' just love to drag in by the shedload...

It's a useful backup browser for when you encounter those occasional randomly visited sites for which trying to reconfigure NoScript enough to make them usable in Firefox is just too much hassle, but, despite Firefox's ongoing Project Uglification, Firefox, and its array of essential add-ons, is still the browser for me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like