back to article Texas' anti-moderation social network law blocked by judge

A federal judge on Wednesday blocked Texas legislation banning large social media companies from moderating content, one day before the law was due to come into effect. Under the law, HB20, social media platforms with over 50 million monthly active users in the US are prohibited from removing content posted by users, …

1. skeptical i

Not a precise analogy, but ...

re: "Social media websites have become our modern-day public square."

I am quite sure that someone once made the same argument about why one should be allowed to collect petition signatures (or hand out flyers, or ...) at shopping malls, and was shot down by arguments that because malls are private property the owner could disallow these activities. For a state that seems to be all about letting business do its business without the heavy hand of gubmint interfering, arguments that gubmint should interfere sound remarkably self-serving.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"sound remarkably self-serving"

He said that explicitly: "social media companies to silence conservative viewpoints and ideas". So that's a pure partisan law to ensure some politicians propaganda has no limitations - business is good until it doesn't touch politicians interests....

1. batfink

Re: "sound remarkably self-serving"

Yes I noticed the careful wording. So he thinks it's going to be ok to silence non-conservative viewpoints then?

2. Filippo Silver badge

Re: Not a precise analogy, but ...

Among the major parties in most Western governments that I'm vaguely aware of, I don't think there's one that's honestly about reducing government influence. Some of them say they are, but in practice they're all about shifting it from the bits they like to the bits they don't like.

2. Barry Rueger

"Would"?

CCIA’s President Matt Schruers argued social media platforms would devolve into a cesspit of “disinformation, propaganda, and extremism.”

I dare say that horse has left the barn, stolen the pick-up truck, kidnapped the cute filly from the ranch next door, run successfully for Congress and is considering a run as Donald Trump's vice-presidential candidate.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Devil

Re: "Would"?

'a cesspit of “disinformation, propaganda, and extremism.”'

Parler?

1. MacroRodent

Re: "Would"?

>Parler?

It's interesting the attempts by right-wingers and conspiracy nuts to set up their own social networks generally have gone nowhere.

This is some cause for optimism, I guess. Shows their real support is not that large.

3. Phones Sheridan Silver badge

What a well thought out, lucid, sensible, logical judgement! Such a travesty cannot be allowed to happen again. Somebody please, think of the lawyers!

4. Kev99 Silver badge

Well, maybe Khrushchev wasn't prescient. Entirely.

5. gormful

These are the same bozos that insist that a corporation is a "person" and can even disobey the law because of its corporate "religious beliefs".

Maybe Twitter et al could explain that moderating content is part of their religion?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Hypocrisy has become a core Republican value.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Texas. No, no, no. That's just manure you smell... :P

7. fredesmite2
    Mushroom

TexasStan

Stroller Boy Abbott has murdered more Americans than died in Vietnam and Korea wars.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like