back to article Specs appeal: Qualcomm and Meta insist headgear to plug you into the metaverse will 'supersede mobile'

What's the next hot thing after mobile? Qualcomm and Meta execs believe it's the metaverse, and some type of headgear providing context so you don't have to pull a device out of your pocket. "Augmented reality is the thing that ultimately will supersede mobile," claimed Meta CTO Andrew Bosworth in conversation with Qualcomm …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I've gotta feeling somebody's watching me..."

Oh, yes, it's Facebook... Move along now...

2. Wellyboot Silver badge

So soon?

Google glasses fell flat only a few years ago, Has humanity already changed enough to accept another go at this BS?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: So soon?

"Google glasses fell flat only a few years ago..."

... because of hatred for glasses wearers. I could see no other reason.

Maybe they've calmed down now?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: So soon?

They weren't called Glassholes for nothing...

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"It hinges on your ability to be efficient with power and thermal space in these tiny form factors"

It hinges on a lot more than that.

Google Glass was an interesting project in itself, but much more in what it revealed about the people using it and how the rest reacted to it than it was actually of any use.

VR has been trying to break into the real world for years now, and none of the issues have really been solved. I'm talking about the weight of the headgear, its comfort and how long it can work, not to mention the sharpness of the image. That last point has a direct impact on how long the headgear can function. Want it to function longer ? Add more battery weight. It's a vicious cycle.

So, we're now pretending that we can have AR goggles that work all day long ? Most laptops can't do that, and they have bigger batteries.

4. fidodogbreath

Also known as

Glasshole 2.0.

5. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

"Meta, formerly known as Facebook, is betting its social networking future on virtual reality, "

So when this fails as miserably as the Glasshole debacle, does that mean Meta and Facebook will blink out of existence? If not, it isn't much of a "bet" then, sounds more like a side-hustle.

Bosworth's quotes read like the How-To manual for writing vaporware press releases.

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Mushroom

does that mean Meta and Facebook will blink out of existence?

One can only hope.

6. Howard Sway Silver badge

Have they asked anyone if they actually want this?

Or is the hubris so great that they truly believe that everything they do will be just as successful as their website?

Because the more I read about it, the more I think it's a shit idea, that will be unimpressive when actually implemented.

7. ArchieTheAlbatross
    Stop

Pointless Bollocks

I believe the title says all that is needed on this subject.

Although I suppose a young multi-billionaire has to spend his money on something, just a shame it isn't anything useful.

8. CommonBloke
    Thumb Down

Of all the things

They could spend money on, they always go for the thing the marketing dept. totally believes is the next best thing tm, for realsies.

They can name a number of "companies that are excited", but I can't seem to find a single person who's even cautiously optimistic, it's either total disdain or scoffing suspicion.

9. karlkarl Silver badge

"will supersede mobile"

... so when consumer email providers ask for their silly 2FA code to be delivered to an insecure mobile phone; this will now instead require all the twots to put on VR helmets to recover that code?

Haha; I hope all the non-techies enjoy that reality ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"this will now instead require all the twots to put on VR helmets to recover that code?"

Nah, this is just phase 1. Phase 2 is direct neural implants so the VR helmets aren't needed. Facebook's authentication module will just check the sensors continuously monitoring your brainwaves to verify that you are you.

10. Binraider Silver badge

On the grounds FB is a cesspit of misinformation, albeit one wrapped around a half useful communication tool, I don't expect some virtual world bs to be any better. I've had quite enough living on screens for the last two years thank you

11. Denarius

not only but

living in a sometimes hot and sweaty climate , followed by cold and humid weather, I do not want another <deleted> object fogging up reducing my vision. The damned masks are bad enough. Also one more thing to stuff up use of needed sunglasses or motorcycle helmet. Lastly, as others have re-iterated, what problem does VR solve for the average person ? In meantime, search for Ed Kilburns song about the new LS22. Glider pilots might like it, techies so-so and the reset be utterly baffled.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FFS not this shit again

AR has already been hyped before multiple times, it's all bollocks no one wants.

(most sucessful app using it was pokemon go, and pretty much all users disabled that bollocks).

with luck it will finally take down fiendbook with it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like