back to article Amazon Appstore melts over Android 12 'Snow Cone'

Shortly after Android 12 launched in October, users updating to the latest version of Google's mobile operating system found that the Amazon Appstore – and apps downloaded from it – no longer worked. Since then, Amazon Appstore customers have been complaining that updating their devices to Android 12 broke their apps – they …

1. heyrick Silver badge

Now all Amazon needs is a store that actually works with the latest version of Android.

Or less DRM arsehattery.

2. Steve Evans

Testing? Amazon hasn't heard of it

Android 12 beta releases were available for months before the full release... Looks like yet another company didn't think to test...

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Re: Testing? Amazon hasn't heard of it

On the contrary, Amazon is using industry best practices. Their crack testing channel reported the failure, but since it only affects a "small number of Amazon Appstore" testers, they have plenty of time to assign the resulting ticket.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Or they tested extensively on beta releases and found no problems and then Google changed something in the final release. Because Google usually does.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Ah, but here I spot the flaw in your argument. Google never has a product stage beyond “beta”.

The Google product lifecycle goes

Marketing Presentation —> Beta release —-> cancelled due to “ooh look, squirrel!” ADHD

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Android 12 on my Nexus 4a still behaves like it's in beta. So many bugs and missing features.

4. Ian 55

It's also worth remembering that Android 12 was specifically said to change how third party app stores worked on it.

Did Amazon actually test that, as the owners of one of biggest? Nah, couldn't be arsed.

3. Howard Sway Silver badge

Fight in the big tech playground!

This story sounds very much like Amazon tried to screw over Google by removing the developer signing, so Google has decided to retaliate by stopping these apps from working.

And as ever, the consumers and developers lose as a result.

1. khjohansen
      Thumb Down

Re: Fight in the big tech playground!

Google/Android is spelled with three "E"'s - Just like Microsoft!!

2. General Purpose

Re: Fight in the big tech playground!

>Google has decided to retaliate

Google would never do something so evil and anti-competitive! It was much more straightforward.

"Here's a neat enhancement."

"It'll break Amazon's Appstore though."

"That's a shame."

4. Mage Silver badge

DRM is evil

See title.

5. Sixtiesplastictrektableware

Point Avoider

I am currently overwhelmed by nostalgia for all the Palm Pilot applications that seemed to so rarely crap out.

But I suppose that's the smaller ecosystem and less hardware updates coming into play. Just kinda shame simplicity's never an option.

Little more on topic: It's too bad people won't have access to all this over-complicated stuff that sometimes works and that they didn't know they needed 'til they got sold on it?

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Point Avoider

"It's too bad people won't have access to all this over-complicated stuff"

Well, yeah. I've been a Prime subscriber for years and didn't know they had an app store...

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Mushroom

May they slug it out for years and years

And in the end, destroy each other.

Ok, I know that is not going to happen but I can dream can't I?

Either way, a plague on both their shoulders.

7. ScissorHands
    Black Helicopters

Oops, I broke it...

Microsoft agrees to have the Amazon App Store on Windows 11 to enable Android compatibility

Google breaks the Amazon App Store.

There is no relationship between these two events. I'm sure of it.

8. Ian 55

Still not working properly

The fsckers have had a version of their own Appstore that works on Android 12 for nearly two months now, but there are still hundreds and hundreds of apps they haven't reDRMed, so are still unavailable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like