back to article All change at JetBrains: Remote development now, new IDE previewed

JetBrains has introduced remote development for its range of IDEs as well as previewing a new IDE called Fleet, which will form the basis for fresh tools covering all major programming languages. JetBrains has a core IDE used for the IntelliJ IDEA Java tool as well other IDEs such as Android Studio, the official programming …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    WTF?

Initial language support is for...

What no C?

1. Falmari Silver badge

Re: Initial language support is for...

@Neil Barnes or C++

1. Someone Else Silver badge

"Coming soon(er or later) to a JetBrains IDE near you (or far away, for remote servers...)."

Sheesh! These marketing droids have their work cut out for them refactoring the tried-and-true slogans for the 21st century!

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

CLion introduced remote C/C++ development a few months ago but I think it was the last of the IntelliJ-based IDEs to do so but makefiles aren't quite as well supported as CMakefiles and the project configuration menu is a maze of twisty passages, all alike.

So I guess C/C++ will be bringing up the rear for the Fleet IDEs as well.

In the end it all boils down to "this is my remote directory, this is my makefile, this is my build command" yet most IDEs manage to make remote projects more complicated than they need to be.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>We plan that both the current IntelliJ-based product line and Fleet will co-exist for quite some time, leaving the options open...

"..to pay us for both tools separately."

3. ayay

aaaaand we are back to Subversion!

Git's rallying cry was its decentralized model.

Now, the new thing is to centralize everything.

We have come full circle to Subversion!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Meh

Re: aaaaand we are back to Subversion!

Should have never left it.

4. pip25

Might check it out

I just hope they'll let me turn off autosave this time around. It's one of the things that I always hated about JetBrains' IDEs.

5. RobLang

IDE in the cloud is not quite killer app... yet

I like the idea of a whole development environment in the cloud but the difficult bit isn't the IDE or code share or even paired programming (most IDEs have that now and you don't need cloud for it). It's attaching to and interactively debugging your code while it's running. Sure, your debug environment could be in containers now but that kube config is finicky even when running locally. Running that same config on someone else's IDE-cloud-platform and making it play nice with the IDE isn't quite there. They require port forwarding through the thin client to your local machine. So, it's not completely dev-in-the-cloud. Not yet, anyway. Those are just technical things that eventually get ironed out.

It's good that VSCode has some competition but that competition is going to need to be open source, not for the ability to fork but to be seen to be developing in the open rather than behind closed doors.

6. Bob9911

I really do like the Jetbrains IDEs over VSCode, but as a private individual making no money from developing software, I find the JB pricing too steep for me when I can get most of the functionality from VSCode for free.

Good luck to them, but I think they've got a problem trying to sell something that is ostensibly free...

1. Plest Silver badge

I like JetBrains IDEs too as they're very consistent and very feature rich but for personal use I can't justify it when VSCode, although not fantatsic, is good enough for personal projects.

I'm a non-dev coder and VSCode is good enough for work projects, serious work you need a serious IDE with plenty of intellisense type stuff to maximise your work output, VSCode is bloody awful for itellisense especially for non-MS stuff like Golang.

7. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Basics

I wish they focused on basics like the latency between a key press and a character showing up on a screen.

Sometimes the lags are insufferable and in general performance of their software is very poor from my experience.

If their definition of lightweight is architecture...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like