back to article EU needs more cybersecurity graduates, says ENISA infosec agency – pointing at growing list of master's degree courses

The EU needs more cybersecurity graduates to plug the political bloc's shortage of skilled infosec bods, according to a report from the ENISA online security agency. The public sectors of EU countries should "support a unified approach" to infosec-focused higher education, it says, addressing an issue that is by no means …

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Needed yesterday

'"The reality," he told us, "is that cyber is not purely technical and topics like governance, risk, compliance and law will become more important in the future."'

And the nature of governance, risk management and compliance need to be radically overhauled, because, as currently practiced, they are commonly little more than process driven rituals.

It's largely been forgotten (even by standards setting bodies) that there's one fundamental attribute of any successful management process - it has to actually deliver a functional result.

2. Clausewitz 4.0 Bronze badge
    Devil

EU Cybersecurity Landscape

To change the current EU Cyber landscape I would say I recommend more blood-thirsty cyber folks than graduates, cze the ruskies are probably after you.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Yes, well, ..... oh that it was so simple as it was in yesteryear.

The EU needs more cybersecurity graduates to plug the political bloc's shortage of skilled infosec bods, according to a report from the ENISA online security agency.

There is an abiding and growing problem for cybersecurity agencies worldwide highlighted in that sentence, Gareth, in that what they [cybersecurity graduates] might be employed and expected to do for infosec reveals far too much about what their employers might need to remain unknown/hidden to them because of the inequitable advantage that it maintains and delivers for a very select few hell bent on retaining it all for themselves ...... as has been their exclusive executive joy for such a long time now in the recent past.

There will be those who would counsel such employment for such an activity in no longer either a viable or attractive highly remunerative option, identifying as it is so surely does, a global elite enemy to be confronted.

1. Giles C Silver badge

Re: Yes, well, ..... oh that it was so simple as it was in yesteryear.

I will agree, cybersecurity knows far more about what goes on in the company than just about anyone else.

So keep those people happy or they might turn against you.

Also I have reverse engineered configs when people have lost critical data and recovered it. Then been told “that isn’t possible” or “you can’t do that” when I all I am doing is taking advantage of the systems built in capability.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

Needed? Yes

...but not as bad as better process and system management and programming to start with. (see almost article posted on this very site)

Well I can dream, right?

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Dream Streaming On ‽ ...... what could possibly go wrong, and for whom and/or what?

All that is commented on here, in need of a change for most everything to be considerably better and different, can only be quickly effortlessly delivered as a result of an enigma, ... the effective exercise of novel attractive ACTive virgin leadership.

And whilst different is easy, considerably better is always going to be contested and subjected and blighted and hindered and perverted and subverted by legacy vested status quo interests more concerned about fiat investments and share holder dividends desperately trying in vain to retain and remain in traditional command of conventional control and in present control of future command.

However, quite whether that latter folly is/was ever an effective blockage or even a minor hurdle to novel future progress is something legacies of the past can choose to dwell upon and rewrite history if key players are to be clearly revealed in a pathetically bad pathological light.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022