back to article AWS chops data transfer fees by massive extension of free tier – 2 months after rival previewed R2 Storage

AWS has improved its free tier for data transfer, from 1GB to 100GB per month for transfer to the internet, and from 50GB to 1TB for CloudFront, its content delivery network. According to AWS chief evangelist Jeff Barr "as a result of this change millions of AWS customers worldwide will no longer see a charge for these two …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"According to AWS chief evangelist Jeff Barr"

Chief evangelist.

Can't shake the image of someone who is just one reveal away from crying on set and begging forgiveness for having cheated on his wife.

Mine's the one without a Bible in the pocket.

1. ronkee

Re: "According to AWS chief evangelist Jeff Barr"

That's the other Jeff.

2. Rob F

Just waiting for Azure to respond to this

with their exorbitant egress fees.

3. badflorist

Free for little me?

Is this 100% free for the people like me that buy VPS's for small home stuff? I just need to run some dockers and about a gig of memory.

1. l8gravely

Re: Free for little me?

I;d look at Linode or Digital Ocean instead, you can get a $5/mon or $10/mon droplet which should cover your needs quite nicely. I run my own domain and IMAP setup on there. Linode is better for email, since you don't tend to get blocked as much as you do on DO, which is where I started.

4. runt row raggy

govcloud isn't a region

from the pedantry department, govcloud isn't a region. it's a partition consisting of two regions us-gov-east-1 and us-gov-west-1. a partition has a unique set of global resources such as user IDs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021