back to article Fancy being an astronaut but didn't go to uni? Your time may have finally come

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) launched an astronaut recruitment drive last week with reduced academic requirements as it seeks to diversify and refresh the nation's corps of space travelers. JAXA last recruited astronauts in 2008. Back then, applicants required a four-year university degree in science or …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Coat

Work expereience?

"Applicant must have been on 4 Moon missions or equivalent"

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Work expereience?

Will Shatner has been into spaaaaace, and captained the Enterprise for years. Does that count? (I don't know if he can swim 75 metres though.)

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

too old, not a citizen of Japan

Yeah, I've often thought about being an astronaut, but I'm too old, and the eyes aren't what they used to be. One can dream...

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: too old, not a citizen of Japan

Yes, I always thought there would be rapid progress that would lead to spaceflight becoming routine, the unfulfilled promise of HOTOL. And that one day I would board a scheduled flight beyond the atmosphere and witness a very special view of our planet.

Alas progress has been slow. I achieved 60,000 feet. My children might get to see something close to the dream toward the end of the century. And no, the Bezos and Branson versions are not the real deal.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

Re: too old, not a citizen of Japan

If I screwed my wife and children out of any possible inheritance, I could just about afford to be a space tourist.

But then I found that none of them would allow me to smoke my cigars.

Quel dommage.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like