back to article Lock up your Office macros: Emotet botnet back from the dead with Trickbot links

The Emotet malware delivery botnet is back, almost a year after law enforcement agencies bragged about shutting it down and arresting the operators. The SANS Institute's Internet Storm Centre (ISC) was one of many organisations to confirm overnight that the spam-based malware delivery network was back online following police …

1. a_yank_lurker Silver badge

I hate macros

Macros sound like a good idea but the security problems they can raise mean they are not worth having.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I hate macros

I agree unless they are your own. They can be a very powerful toolset and data manipulation tool before you actually learn to program. They are disabled by default nowadays anyway.

1. Clausewitz 4.0 Bronze badge
        Devil

Re: I hate macros

I politely agree. Back in 2000's I could manage an entire fleet of cars and big trucks for a Federal Government Office in Brazil, using just Access + VBA, all made from scratch.

If the macros are yours, it is always a good business.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, the joys..

.. of not using MS Office at all :).

That said, let's be honest: it DOES come with a mechanism to control their execution - it would be helpful if people actually used it. Not having used Office for a while, I don't know if that is because it doesn't default to safe, IMHO it ought to. A good defence has multiple layers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022