back to article Malicious Chrome extensions are bad. But what about nice ones that can be hijacked? This new tool spots them

Security researchers from Germany's CISPA Helmholtz Center for Information Security have developed software to help identify Chrome extensions that are vulnerable to exploitation by malicious webpages and other extensions. Back in 2018, Google announced plans to redesign its browser extension platform to make it more secure. …

1. ThatOne Silver badge
    Facepalm

I see where this is heading...

So, Manifest v3 extensions are not vulnerability-free yet.

Which brings us to Manifest v4, which restrict extensions to just showing a small inert smiley face in a corner... At last, our ads and data slurping will be perfectly safe.

We need a "rolling eyes" icon

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Angel

Re: I see where this is heading...

It's not like users have any choice, though. I mean, what are we to do, run Firefox, after Mozilla made some minor cosmetic changes to the UI and changed extension frameworks to improve performance? Nope, no choice but to run Chrome.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Unhappy

Re: I see where this is heading...

Yes, I'm using Firefox myself, but how long before it becomes yet another Chrome clone in the name of "progress" and "security"?...

The issue here is that Mozilla is founded by Google (of all people!), and I'm pretty confident Google won't let it become a competitor. After all Firefox is just Chrome's anti-monopoly shield, something it can still do if neutered to death.

2. Blackjack Silver badge

People are still using Chrome extensions? I stopped using them and Chrome ages ago. When Firefox finally dies I an doomed because I use Seamonkey, Icecat and Iceraven and they all are Firefox derivatives.

1. sreynolds

yeah you have to pretend to allow others a fair and level playing field to your platform, when your platform is simply one to raise revenue from ads that you sell. The only reason extensions exist is to be able to provide a pretense of not being a closed platform.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like