back to article 'Automate or die!' Gartner reckons most biz apps will be developed via low-code by the people who use them

Gartner analyst Milind Govekar believes that application development is moving to "low code or no code," and software development shifting to "assembly and integration." Speaking at the Gartner IT Symposium, Govekar said that cloud disruption is still under way and, according to his analysts, organisations are 17 times more …

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

" "Applications of the future will be assembled and composed by the people that actually use them"

I'll not be putting my payment card details into any such application.

Low code (let alone no code) can't possibly ensure application security. Darn it - even 'high code' written by supposed experts frequently doesn't. What we'll finish up with is leaks from everywhere.

Supposing of course that Gartner is right for once.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Applications of the future will be assembled and composed by the people that actually use them"

Agree. Another rerun of dark IT where spreadsheets became data processing processes bodged together by people with a focus on solving their local problem, unaware of the limitations (64K columns say) of the chosen tools. Anyway I predict a steady rise in user hostile interfaces and snooping buried in code blocks and libraries. Regardless of Gartners record, their prediction wont happen, but I feel it will be much worse to work in IT

2. Falmari Silver badge
    Devil

Business Technologist fancy name for Developer?

From the article Gartner’s Govelar was saying this “Composing such applications will be easier than traditional development, thanks to increasing use of low-code or no-code techniques, enabling "business technologists" to be developers.”

Well, I have never heard the buzzwords business technologists or citizen technologists before so I looked them up on the Gartner site https://www.gartner.com/en/information-technology/glossary/business-technologist and also some other sites to see what they did.

Seems to me Govelar's use of the buzzword business technologists differs from Gartner's where business technologists would need no enabling to be developers, they already are developers. ;)

“Business technologists can be individuals whose primary job entails technology work (such as Python developers hired in Marketing, data scientists hired in finance and accounting teams or software engineers hired in R&D). “

3. JasonT
    FAIL

No Code = Beinoff B.S.

Almost a decade ago I was at a company that was launching Salesforce as their CRM. They were pushing very heavily "No Code" with corresponding logos - red slashed circle around the word "code" and such. At a sales meeting they brought up this concept, and I asked two questions. #1 - given the number of implementations to a just-short-of-custom Oracle ERP implementation we had to maintain, among others, how many *dedicated* developers should we anticipate to support Salesforce in our organization? It went from Zero to about Five. #2 - to do all the things they they were demonstrating, how much code (macros, workflow definitions) and such was sitting behind what we were seeing. It went from "No Code" to "well, it's not Java..."

1. Diogenes

Re: No Code = Beinoff B.S.

Wasn't COBOL invented so that business people could write their own code ?

1. James Anderson

Re: No Code = Beinoff B.S.

As was BASIC, SQL, and a bunch of 4GLs (Focus, Ramis, MarkIV).

Interestingly these "easy 4GLs allowing business users to develop applications" turned out be a high paying gig for skilled contractors.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The gasman cometh

In the immortal words of Flanders and Swan, it all makes work for the working man to do. In this case "it" will be sorting out the mess.

6. HildyJ Silver badge
    Devil

Thank the Goddess

Now that Gartner has declared "application development is moving to low code or no code," we can be sure that idea is dead.

7. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Who needs enemies when friends are bearing dodgy gifts .....

Is Govekar into anything else disruptive other than that pumping and dumping and pimping of Trojan Horse Ware and Slippery Snake Oil?

What’s he trying to prove is a viable default starting position? ......" Fake that shit 'til you make that shit? "

8. Pen-y-gors Silver badge

'The Last One'?

Anyone remember "The Last One" - software from 1981 that would make coding obsolete?

But then , this is a another Gartner fantasy.

And the beauty of all these 'let the user do it' is that the one thing the users never do is actually test anything (spreadsheets?)

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: 'The Last One'?

There is also the issue that more often than not the "user" has better/more urgent things to do.

To illustrate, can you imagine a grain farmer machine-tooling spare parts to assemble a combine harvester? That's not his job: His job, what pays his bills, is to grow crops.

9. Chris Dockree

Low / No Code solutions are aiming at the Developer / Product Owner, who can potentially dodge all of the time, cost and stress of using a coding team. They may well fail because their idea is rubbish, or the platform they choose won’t do it or ??? But they’ll fail a lot quicker, cheaper and with a lot less stress than they would with a coding team on board. On the other hand they may succeed. Don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it!

10. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Devil

So the cloud is coming back to being on premises, and we're back in vendor lockin again.

Does anyone else see a parallel with the transition from mainframe timesharing to minicomputers? It's the cycle of reinvention I suppose.

It's like deja vu, all over again as Yogi Berra might say. History may not be repeating, but it sure does rhyme.

11. tiggity Silver badge

Low code / no code .. I wish

If such things existed & were actually useful / not restricted to trivially irrelevant functionality then I would be a happy bunny as my working life would be a lot easier.

But, there's really not anything "quick & easy" out there* for anything with vaguely real world security, complexity, concurrency (etc., etc.) concerns that does not involve lots of developer effort. Unless they just mean the plethora of tools out there that makes consuming APIs / services easier .. in which case BS as people still have to write the APIs / microservices etc. in the first place (i.e. the difficult part - consumption of APIs / services should be trivial in comparison).

* For platforms / languages I use, may not apply to all platforms / languages.

1. Chris Dockree

Re: Low code / no code .. I wish

Such a thing does exist. I'm building systems with one now. Quick and Easy?? It's taken me a week to develop a reports management system - with an object structure, properties, web interface, full security, forms, actions, notifications and fully auditable object history. It has been built into an existing system, tested and modified. And I am 61 - easily distracted, prone to dozing off and not as quick as some on the uptake! If you haven't tried it don't knock it.

1. mpi

Of course lowcode platforms exist, and cool things can be built using them.

But: Projects grow in scope and required functionality over time, so there is a good chance that, at some point there will be a requirement, that cannot be met within what the platform offers.

If a lowcode platform could meet every possible requirement, including processing arbitrary data in arbitrary ways, and communicating with arbitrary systems via arbitrary protocols, all without using anything other than the platform, it's no longer a lowcode platform, it's a turing complete programming language.

1. Chris Dockree

... correct - but without the need for a code author. In my experience (I have worked with these types of platforms for the past 8 years) most of them are limited in one way or another and are, frankly, half-hearted attempts to keep away from. But not all of them! Whilst some of them leave the back door open for "custom" code work, some of them provide tools to cater for "arbitrary" data / ways which are simple and even quite enjoyable to use. Connectivity - same problem if you are doing all that custom development work.

1. mpi

Okay, so lets say we have at some point a very advanced, GUI-based, turing-complete programming language that is simple and enjoyable to work with. It also offers ready-made building blocks for common tasks.

How is this different from a programming language like Golang and its ecosystem of libraries?

The business logic that is to be encoded didn't go away, it's just encoded differently, or rather, the encoding is presented in another way.

1. Chris Dockree

Never used Golang - but quick wiki - and i can see it is "an open source programming language". The No Code platform I've been using does not require any understanding of any programming language. I need to know language other than what the subject matter expert /client uses (!) and the platform toolset.

12. Filippo Silver badge

No code?

Stating that "no code" will allow end-users to build their own business applications makes about as much sense as saying that if you give me a big 3D printer, I'll be able to build a real house myself. I could build something that looks like a house from a distance, and it might even keep most of the rain out, but that's about it. Coding is only a small fraction of a professional developer's job.

1. Chris Dockree

Re: No code?

That type of 3d printer doesn't exist yet - though you know it will!! But right here, right now - you can get platforms that will build you a software system without the need for a coding team. Interface, logic, database, file storage, security, interraction, auditability, management, reporting, modelling, testing, version control ... all you bring is the nowse, the business case and your own creativity. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

1. mpi

Let's suppose I need to automatically check the current workload of the database, say, in transactions/sec, or its underlying storage, and I cannot do so within whatever framework offers all these building blocks, but I need to integrate it into an existing monitoring system.

How far will the lowcode/nocode solution get me then?

1. Chris Dockree

All of these platforms use databases at their heart. If you want to monitor database activity (for some reason) dip into the many tools that provide that analysis, so long as the platform provider enables access. The system we use is based on MS SQL server. The database work (table structure, speed and resource optimisation) has been done already, by the platform provider. We use the platform to build a system model and (a little like object oriented programming methodology) use this structure to feed various interface / form / chart control options. Our biggest system so far has 42 million discrete objects, all part of the clients website, which provides nearly all of their management systems as well as ecommerce and public facing services. - and when I say "our biggest system" ... the client does most of the development, using subject matter experts - not a code authoring team. We mostly just support them.

1. mpi

> dip into the many tools that provide that analysis

What if I cannot do that, because the requirement is that I integrate the monitoring into an existing monitoring solution, and the low/nocode platform the system uses has no ready-made connector for it?

1. Chris Dockree

I think - if you look hard enough, you'll find a reason to not use a No Code platform. But for most applications they'll be fine.

13. Paul Johnston
    Flame

Don't knock it

There are a lot of things I haven't tried that I am willing to knock.

Morris Dancing ....

1. Chris Dockree

Re: Don't knock it

Fair enough!

14. RLWatkins

This is hilarious.

Gartner conflating "cloud" with "AI" and saying that "it will write our code in the future" is typical.

And it's ignorant. And it's sad.

But their principal market consists of businessmen, who want to commoditize programming, just as they've tried to commoditize engineering, medicine, etc. They love to hear this stuff, even when the results have always been disastrous.

If they'd told businessmen, "You'll have to actually pay people to do critical and intellectually demanding professional work, and learn to live with that," they'd have lost most of their audience.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022