back to article Google's Pixel 6 fingerprint reader is rubbish because of 'enhanced security algorithms'

Google has come up with a cast-iron excuse for why the fingerprint sensor on its latest Pixel 6 series of smartphones appears to be so unreliable – and you're going to love it. The Pixel 6 and 6 Pro came out in the UK on 28 October, but something that has struck reviewers about the otherwise highly recommended mobe is a …

1. Ol'Peculier

I've had a Pixel 6 Pro for just under a week, and have no problems with the fingerprint sensor.

I must admit, I preferred the one on the back of the Pixel 3, but all I do is keep my phone pressed to the screen for a gnats whisker of a second for it to register. Seems to be a lack of patience on the couple of people that have Tweeted about it...

1. Natalie Gritpants Jr

I didn't know Google made folding phones.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Mine folded up last week when I sat down on it.

2. vtcodger Silver badge

A guess

My GUESS would be that the sensor and associated logic works just fine for some fingerprints including the one you use, those of the Google developers and those of the Google test team. But that it fails for some. I wouldn't be at all surprised that if you spent a rainy afternoon testing the fingerprint sensor with all ten of your upper extremity digits, you might find that some work reliably and some don't. They're all different y'know.

As for "enhanced security". If logging in doesn't work, IT'S SECURE. Maybe not the optimal solution to providing security ... But, to a spin artist I can see "works poorly if at all" morphing to "is much more secure".

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Re: A guess

The fingerprint sensor works... the user clearly doesn't. They're using the wrong type of finger.

2. Beeblebrox

Re: A guess

Shurely, them with insecure, easily faked fingerprints were excluded.

Would you like to try another finger?

3. Paradroid

When the S10 launched some reviewers complained about the in-display fingerprint sensor being slow. I've owned an S10+ for nearly two years and have no idea what they're talking about.

Came very close to replacing my phone with a Pixel 6 Pro, but what bothered me more was losing a basic face unlock feature. Having basic face unlock and the fingerprint sensor for biometrics is my favourite setup by far

1. .stu

But that only works if you have a basic face.

2. big_D Silver badge

For my wife, the in-screen reader on her S10 works about 30% of the time. She has more or less given up on it and uses facial recognition or PIN.

I have an S20+ and it is more reliable, probably around 80%.

1. Paradroid

Firm enough press? I find it needs that. Have to press harder than I expect to press on glass, but it likes it

1. big_D Silver badge

Oily fingers, I think. She really presses hard. But she works in an industrial kitchen, which means hands in water or being washed with disinfected all day long.

2. amateriat

This was part of the reason why I went for the S10e: fingerprint sensor built into the power button. A tad ore tricky to use ergonomically, but generally works nine times outta ten for me.

Was actually thinking about the 6/6Pro on account of offering an unmolested Android OS experience (mumble mumble Kill Bixby mumble), but the news about the in-screen tech has me holding off for a bit.

4. RockyKoer

My Pixel 6 never recognizes my finger print. I'm forced to use the PIN every time. I upgraded from a 3XL.

Your single case does not mean the issue does not exist for others.

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

Clearly "your holding it wrong".

Has Google hired Apple's old customer support team?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

The enhanced security algorithms...

... take a long time to scan your fingerprint at 4800dpi and upload it to Google's mothership.

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Re: The enhanced security algorithms...

Would Google sell my fingerprint to an advertiser? Of course they would. They'd sell my saliva if they could find a customer and had a way to collect the spit. (Log on by tongue-print anyone?) Would any advertiser actually pay for it. Ad people are pretty weird. But not THAT weird. ... I think ...

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

Re: The enhanced security algorithms...

Medical companies and life insurance companies would kill (well, not literally) to be able to collect everyone's DNA.

Medical companies would know who to target for expensive solutions to genetic problems.

And life insurance companies would be able to sell insurance to those of us who will live long and prosper, and not to those who are destined to shuffle off their mortal coils early.

3. ecarlseen

How is this even a thing in 2021?

Meanwhile, my iPhone builds a 3D model of my face and compares it in near real time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Near Real Time

Apple fanboy perchance?

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Near Real Time

Perhaps, but he does have a point.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

So long as he doesn't hold it wrong.

I suppose Google couldn't use that one - it's already been taken.

1. Tessier-Ashpool

I got an iPhone 13 mini a couple of weeks ago. The facial recognition is really fast and reliable. Whether I’m holding it, or using in a holder in the car. No complaints from me.

Slight Fanboi alert: I also have an iPad Pro with facial recognition. Far less reliable because I typically need to go out of my way to look in the right direction. With its much smaller angular diameter, look in the general direction of an iPhone and you’re going to be looking at the faceID scanner.

2. zuckzuckgo Silver badge
          Devil

>he does have a point.

Shame on you. It is no longer PC to comment on someone's facial appearance.

2. Paradroid

Re: How is this even a thing in 2021?

But is easily defeated by a face mask. And the official workaround is to spend nearly £400 on an Apple Watch

3. mgregoryc

Interestingly, face unlock on the Pixel 4 consistently worked better than my partner's iPhone 11 Pro at the same task. Almost a shame to lose that for the sake of a little screen real-estate!

4. Slx

Which is a total disaster during COVID and face masks. I’ve either had to pay with my watch or go back to using contactless cards, as the whole thing is so awkward now.

4. DrXym

Hmmm

I could (perhaps) see how the phone calling home to Google for some kind of challenge / response step could delay fingerprint working. But equally it could just be really terrible hardware or software which isn't detecting a press as an attempt to unlock the phone. And even if it were calling home, that isn't much good if someone has poor network or no network connectivity.

1. Ol'Peculier

Re: Hmmm

I've just tried putting mine in Aircraft mode and it unlocked, so it's not phoning home.

1. AlanSh

You hope :)

1. big_D Silver badge

Well, it isn't the instant phoning home part that is causing it to fail...

2. Byz

It could be trying and then caching it.

Only a packet sniffer will give you any idea.

When you use Android Pay it is free to the retailer (unlike Apple pay where there is a small charge), however Google get to see your transactions.

Also Chrome send any printing you do to the mothership before it returns to your printer (I've watched it with a packet sniffer).

2. Xyra

It's definitely getting the press. The screen lights up as soon as you put your finger on the sensor area with no perceivable delay. If you remove it too quickly it tells you to hold It longer. if you hold it longer most of the time it either. says not recognised or partial fingerprint detected. Without a screen protector it worked maybe 70% of the time once I'd got used to it and retrained it a few times, with a glass screen protector its down to less than 3% of the time. But 70% was annoying enough that I'd rather have the screen protector and just unlock manually.

Coming from my previous phone, a Huawei P10, which had the fastest fingerprint reader I've used on any phone it's quite jarringly bad.

Other than the fingerprint reader I love the phone though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"my previous phone, a Huawei P10, which had the fastest fingerprint reader I've used on any phone"

Could that have anything to do with the country of origin?

Could it be that they have already scanned you in so many different way that the fingerprint scanner is just the icing on the cake...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've never found fingerprint sensors much good 'cause I chew the calluses off my mouse finger, so the print doesn't stay stable.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Use a less nibbled finger?

1. Death Boffin
        Thumb Up

Digital rights

You could always give Google the middle finger.

1. Chris G

Re: Digital rights

The government has both my index fingerprints on record for my ID card, beyond that nobody gets any of my biometrics if I can help it, certainly not a phone made by a known data slurper, it's bad enough using Android even with most the obvious slurperage shut down.

I unlock my phone with a password, not that it holds anything of value or sensitivity, I just like to be difficult and cantankerous.

2. Andy Non Silver badge
      Coat

Give it the middle finger instead.

6. Tromos
    FAIL

Try the hyper-enhanced security mode.

That's where any input to any sensor instantly bricks the phone. Can't get more secure than that.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Try the hyper-enhanced security mode.

Laughs as phone's built-in self-destruct charge detonates

1. elbisivni

Re: Try the hyper-enhanced security mode.

Samsung tried that a couple of years ago, but in public trials they only ever achieved deflagration, not actual detonation.

7. thejoelr

Wrong finger.

Set it up with your middle finger, so at least the failures give you a chance to give feedback to the phone.

A problem with our product? Oh no, that can't be...we mean for it to be like that. That's a bad look for a company. Makes me confident that any support or warranty work is going to be a hassle.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh?

People freely let Google have a copy of their fingerprints just for the convenience of unlocking their phone? Wow. Where's that other article from yesterday about "Trusting Google"?...

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Eh?

"Freely" in this particular case means "paying $600 for the privilege"

but yes, same head-scratching situation

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, perhaps I should have used "voluntarily" and left out any (even oblique) reference to money.

2. eldakka

> People freely let Google have a copy of their fingerprints

In theory, Google never gets a copy of the fingerprint.

The mechanism is exactly the same as with passwords.

1) Get prompted to enter the new password ('enroll').

2) password gets hashed and that hash is saved locally on the device.

3) to 'login', enter password

4) entered password gets run through the same hashing algorithm as the enrolled password

5) compare hashed (and salted hopefully) entered password with the saved locally enrolled hashed (and salted) password.

6) if they match, successful login.

For fingerprints, the process is the same excpet substitute 'fingerprint' for 'password'. Google - outside its code running locally on the device - should never see the password or fingerprint.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'll give you points for youthful enthusiasm, but in reality, a fingerprint is just another chunk of data Google will slurp since there's nothing stopping them from doing so.

9. Omnipresent Bronze badge

You're doing it wrong

Try giving them your middle finger instead.

10. ShadowSystems

I tried to post...

But the enhanced security algorithm ate my submission.

11. David 132 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Lawmakers to the rescue!

Don't worry, a concerned group of US lawmakers are proposing to solve this problem by "banning algorithms"... https://yro.slashdot.org/story/21/11/09/1743255/new-bipartisan-bill-takes-aim-at-algorithms

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lawmakers to the rescue!

And well they should, as it's a lie. I've seen the guy dance, and Al Gore has no rhythm.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My wifes fingerprint is too small and won't register on her Samsung phone. Her thumb doesn't work either - maybe too big?

13. bazza Silver badge

Fail

Security is 1) denying information to unauthorised persons, 2) providing said information to authorised persons.

Sounds like Google haven't heard of the 2nd part

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: Fail

I expect a lot of people aren't really testing the "don't let in the wrong person" part.

Historically, consumer products have been casual in this area, you hear of car manufacturers that produced hundreds of different models, millions of cars sold, ten different keys if you're lucky.

2. Alojza

Re: Fail

Finger print sensors/scanners fail on the first part as well.

I was killing time waiting and got talking to someone who said that their gf had accessed their phone by pressing their digit to the phone fingerprint sensor, and thereby reading through his texts etc.

If someone wants to crack my phone to log in, that's one thing.

But someone using your own digit whilst asleep/drunk/whatever without permission or consent - that's not some mere hypothetical.

14. chuBb.
    Boffin

Wonder how many of the people with issues have a screen protector stickers on, and what percentage have the cheapest one they could get installed?

15. rcw88

Its really secure

You can't get into it.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just slip mask down past tip of your nose and by the time you have slipped it back up you're logged in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like