back to article .NET 6 LTS and VS 2022: Major releases spoilt by continuing concern about Microsoft's commitment to open source

Microsoft has released .NET 6.0 with long-term support, and Visual Studio 2022, its all-purpose Windows IDE. The roll-out is a big one for Microsoft's development platform as .NET 6.0 is the first LTS release since .NET Core 3.1 in December 2019. LTS releases are scheduled to come every two years, with short-term releases in …

1. TReko

Version confusion

is it just me or are there so many different .NET and .NET core versions to differentiate now that it causes confusion?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Version confusion

Not forgetting .NET Core vs .NET Standard, and what platforms they run on, not to mention .NET Framework and all of the other .NET stuff, ASP.NET, Workflow, support for native Win32 API calls etc.

It's all a confusing mess, with the rug constantly being pulled from underneath developers as M$ drops yet another API/library stack.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's all a confusing mess

Yeah, I haven't paid much attention either. Let's all pretend it's just too complicated to understand.

Everyone on here hates MS, I don't think we'll get any push back.

2. Rahbut

It's not that confusing... it used to be called .NET Framework (up until 4.8). Then there was .NET Core (the open source version) - the common bits between .NET Framework and .NET Core were .NET Standard.

.NET Core turned into .NET 5 (the logical successor to both .NET Framework and .NET Core), and now we have .NET 6.

[and VS 2022 is a big improvement over 2019 in terms of perf - it's taking half the time to load/build one of our larger solutions]

3. mingue

There is only .Net now as it has been unified since v5, so no more .net standrard, framework or core. Just multi-platform .Net

It's sad that MS skips Linux for the MAUI project for now, this way they don't have a true multi-platform project for frontend, although the community seems to have solved this better than MS itself, hopefully a trend we see more and more and MS takes a more background plane on the .Net direction

1. chuBb.

It's not really a shame though,.net on *nix is all about cheap vms in azure running backend services.

Yet to use a cross platform ui framework that's worth the effort, or the endless meetings explaining to crayon botherrers that text boxes look different on mac and pc and that maybe they are confusing Web design with ui design...

2. SickNick

Forget concerns about open source, my main concern is that it's still massively buggy and they've changed some pretty fundamental aspects of the developer workflow.

1. chuBb.

What's so buggy?

Only real issues I've had is v old projects circa vs2012 format csproj, which once updated to be sdk based csproj have been well behaved and fights between package reference and packages.config which again is solved by upgrading the project format. Only real gripe with that is that an advanced view on project properties would be nice to save having to trawl msdn for all of the various project and build effecting config values, although that's much less of a hassle now you can edit the project file of a loaded project

Resharper is still hobbling vs though, if only I could find as good a test runner as Resharpers* I'd uninstall the performance killing nuisance

*vs's inbuilt test runner just isn't in the same league or even as functional too many times will it fail to start a test run because of a hidden build error and not having to install a nuget package per testing framework lurking in the code base is also a massive bonus i don't see why I should have to deploy a new build just so that a dev time activity works out of the box...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like