back to article Teams has a mute button all of its own in taskbar of latest Windows 11 preview build

Microsoft has added a mute button for Teams into the taskbar of the latest Windows 11 preview build. This should prove very handy for when one lets loose with the expletives due to the collaboration platform behaving poorly. The feature has turned up in build 22494 and pops a microphone icon into the taskbar when the user …

1. Swarthy
    Facepalm

Great....

Another mute button. Because I have not - at all - heard the silence of a meeting when the person next to speak had to figure out which mute button (was it software, was it the hardware button, is it the Windows setting, did the presenter have them muted?) had them screaming into the void.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Re: Great....

Meetings are better when everyone is on mute.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

From the sound of it, this isn't another mute button that could mess things up, but instead just another control which activates the old Teams control. If that's true, it probably reduces the annoyance because they don't have to bring the Teams window back into focus to mute or unmute themselves.

1. William Towle
        Facepalm

> From the sound of it, this isn't another mute button that could mess things up, but instead just another control which activates the old Teams control. If that's true, it probably reduces the annoyance because they don't have to bring the Teams window back into focus to mute or unmute themselves.

Nod.

As a newcomer to Teams I was recently in a meeting where my computer was being controlled by someone else via the desktop sharing feature. Having muted myself earlier in order to sneeze but not taken note of the unmute shortcut, I ended up screaming "I need control back to fix this" to nobody in particular when the keyboard's unmute key threatened to start closing application windows.

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Is there a button to completely uninstall it, or will it be like IE6?

3. Sgt_Oddball
    Windows

Oh you teases....

No chance of getting win 11 on my corporate laptop anytime soon (we only moved to win 10 because of win 7 support ending) and convincing the PTB to allow us to have the powertoys shortcuts is in the realms of pure fantasy.

*grump*

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Oh you teases....

Lucky you!

4. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Dueling mute buttons

I already have a volume control icon in my taskbar, I can apply mute from there. I keep the system muted all the time, even when working from home. Are the controls independent? Additive? One overriding the other? I have a sneaking suspicion the Teams button will be the uber-mute, overriding any other settings in the system, but not vice versa, and the "other communications applications" buttons will be unter-mutes.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hate teams.

It’s utter shit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like