back to article Microsoft introduces Azure Container Apps with scale to zero

At its recent Ignite event, Microsoft rolled out a preview of Azure Container Apps, a managed service for deploying containers with features including scale to zero. It uses Kubernetes behind the scenes, supplemented by Dapr and KEDA. The Azure cloud already provides various ways to run containers, including Azure Kubernetes …

1. steviebuk Silver badge

This is what scares me

IT is running away from me. I was just getting comfortable and understanding stuff, even some networking but Azure stuff, all the names just appears as confusing as fuck.

1. Cederic Silver badge

Re: This is what scares me

Not just the names, it can be extraordinarily difficult to get clarity on what's actually being provided, when it might be appropriate to use it and what the trade-offs are compared to using another service, which might have an almost identical name but do something completely different or have a totally different name but do something very similar, and all with multiple complex charging models and all with competitors bringing all of the above complexity but on another platform.

Maybe we're getting old.

1. BrownishMonstr

I'm 30.

I've no idea what TF is going on any more.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Same. I love Mark Russinovich's sysinternals. I learnt a lot from watching his Case of the Unexplained and Aaron Margosis. But now, all Mark talks about is Azure on Twitter (mostly) and terms like Azure Incubations, Container Apps, incubating project, Azure Chaos Studio. WTF!!?!?

And then

"I'm thrilled to announce the preview of Azure Container Apps, an innovative serverless container platform that inlcudes Dapr, a distributed application runtime, and KEDA, a Kubernetes event-driven autoscaler, both of which we created in Azure Incubations"

WHAT!?!

What the fuck is a Kubernetes!!

The thing that annoys me most is they ALWAYS hide the cost from manglement. Unless you a sensible one, they always fall for the bollocks.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> I've no idea what TF is going on any more.

I've not seen the presentation - just going on the article write-up - but it sounds like auto-scaling Kubernetes. If you already use K8S in your business then it may have some added benefit. If not then you probably don't need this.

It's ironic that they have Kafka as an example as queueing is a great way of smoothing load - precisely so you don't need this kind of autoscaling. But I'm sure there's someone somewhere with the relevant use-case.

2. Short Fat Bald Hairy Man
      Pint

I have NO IDEA what all this is about and I been using various Linux/BSD flavours since the mid 1990s.

BUT, I have colleagues who were most likely born mid 1990s use it nonchalantly. I listen in, terrified. When is that ball they are throwing around going to explode? Do they not realise that it is a fucking hand grenade. With pin off?

Security? They have heard of it.

2. DevOpsTimothyC

M$ - EEE

Sounds like another example of "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish", or as some others would call it in a cloud world... Vendor Lockin

3. Robert Grant

It sounds like the Kubernetes flavour of Fargate.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like