back to article Remember the 'guy in a jetpack' seen flying close to passenger jets? Probably just balloons, says FBI

Passenger jet pilots who reported what looked like a man in a jetpack flying over Los Angeles may have just been seeing runaway balloons. That's according to the FBI this week. If you can cast your mind back to August last year, you may recall the tale of American Airlines pilots claiming someone equipped with what was …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a government coverup!

Just like Roswell but with smaller "balloons" to use in their PR+psyops spin.

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
      Alien

Re: It's a government coverup!

Just like Roswell but crap.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Just like Roswell. Both were balloons. No conspiracy. No evidence.

I still want my jetpack, though.

1. AVR

Doable if you really want - https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/454072/seven-prototype-martin-jetpacks-up-for-sale-after-company-s-liquidation - trouble is not enough people actually want.

2. TDog

seriously impressive

Several thousand feet up - no obvious fuel supply - One would have expected some tangible splats as fuel along with the pilot expired. Have they tried looking for smelly holes in the ground, or perhaps houses?

3. imanidiot Silver badge

More evidence

That when it comes to drone/jetpack/ufo sightings, pilots aren't the definitive authority. They can make mistakes too. All too often the comments below videos about this sort of phenomenon devolve into "but it was a pilot who reported it, he knows what a normal plane looks like, so this MUST have been a UFO!". Which is utter bunk. Pilots can be just as much idiots as any of us.

1. Tom 7

Re: More evidence

More importantly flying a plane for long hours is very tiring and dehydration and all-sorts cause serious head problems.And other staff and co-pilots also have a sense of humour and the curved glass windows are incredibly easy use to make high speed lights fly around the sky.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Also. If your unidentified object is moving slowly like, for instance, a balloon and your aircraft is clipping along at over 400mph, the length of time you get for a good look at whatever it is[1] is the square root of sod all.

Thus what you actually get is:

"WTF was that?"

"No idea. Looked a bit like a bloke wearing a jet pack."

"I'll call it in..."

[1] i.e. the time between "invisible dot" and "passed it".

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"the curved glass windows are incredibly easy use to make high speed lights fly around the sky."

I remember seeing a film shot at night from a small aircraft cockpit with a cluster of lights "flying" in fixed formation with each other and the aircraft. The shot zoomed in on the lights.

Having spent a good bit of my working life looking through optical instruments I knew the sort of effects seen in an unfocussed image of a point source. The sort of unfocussed image you might see when a camera focussed on distance is imaging reflections of near-by indicator lights. I could see the camera lens had a 5-blade aperture diaphragm.

Were the crew really taken in by it or had they spotted the chance of a good spoof?

3. nijam Silver badge

> ...long hours is very tiring and dehydration and all-sorts cause serious head problems...

Sounds like someone trying to discourage the use of long-haul flights to me. Very much of the moment.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

It's worth remembering that UFO simply means Unidentified Flying Object. If it flies and you haven't identified it, then it's a UFO. That doesn't automatically imply it's an alien space craft, a man with a jet pack, a spaghetti monster, a superhero or a politician going to COP26. It could just be a robin you mistook for a sparrow.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
        Thumb Up

The pilot is not flying around to identify any other things in the air, the pilots' job is to avoid hitting things in the air and landing safely - so the pilot did a darn good job. Sure hitting a balloon would not have been a big issue but hitting a drone or jetpack guy would be a serious issue - the pilot didn't hit anything.

3. nijam Silver badge

> ... pilots aren't the definitive authority ...

Very much the opposite on the basis of this and many other "sightings", sadly. Still, they've provided many a government to restrict, or otherwise legislate against, drones. So they must be the good guys.

4. Tom 7

Here's one for Starlink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPm9vlqmwfo

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

damn...

I was hoping for the Jet Pack to hit the market... perhaps built by Elon?

6. Grunchy Silver badge

It was “Witchie-poo” of the West, astride her “Vroom Broom”

-We know this woman is a witch because she looks like one.

-We know this woman is a witch because she dresses like one.

-We know this woman is a witch because she has a wart.

-We know this woman is a witch because she turned someone into a newt.

-One burns witches.

-One burns wood.

-Witches burn because they are made out of wood.

-Bridges are made of wood.

-However, bridges are multiply realizable. They can be built from stone. [Implied] Building a bridge out of the woman will not determine that she is made of wood.

-Wood floats in water.

-A duck floats in water [bread, apples, very small rocks, cider, gravy, cherries, mud, churches, lead].

-If the woman weighs the same as a duck, then she is made of wood.

-The woman weighs the same as a duck.

-Therefore, the woman is a witch.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: It was “Witchie-poo” of the West, astride her “Vroom Broom”

And the police arrested somebody 100mi away for owning a Tim Burton dvd

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mog_X

Re: It was “Witchie-poo” of the West, astride her “Vroom Broom”

"Who are You, Who are so Wise in the Ways of Science?"

7. Martin Summers Silver badge

YouTube Stunt

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=td9n5-QUGKM

If you've never seen Airrack before you should check out his videos.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: YouTube Stunt

I put this link there and then a 1 million subscriber channel gets deleted shortly afterwards!

Basically he paid someone to CGI a guy in a jetpack flying near an airport and got the television news to air the footage.

1. The Axe

Re: YouTube Stunt

Link worked for me.

8. andrewmm

Halloween balloons ? , when was first sighting ?

Was not the first sighting in summer,

Not many Halloween balloons around then me thinks

9. Frank Bitterlich
    Black Helicopters

It was...

... swamp gas. Reflecting light from Venus. Or a blimp. Or something.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like