back to article Juno what? Jupiter's Great Red Spot is much deeper than originally thought

Revelations that Jupiter's Great Red Spot is much deeper than believed and details on the planet's famous banded structures below its cloud layer were among the atmospheric insights collected by NASA's Juno probe and published in science journals today. Juno entered a polar orbit of Jupiter in 2016 and is the first mission …

1. ClockworkOwl
    Thumb Up

By Jove!

Clearly the Dweller regatta is only just getting into full swing!

Seriously though, you have to love the whole Juno program and there's so much to come...

1. ibmalone
      Alien

Re: By Jove!

I'm told they think it's a bit too dry.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"how Jupiter's beautiful and violent atmosphere works – in 3D"

Can't wait to see the videos they're going to make of that !

3. Chris Gray 1
    Alien

Stargates!

Given that the vortices now appear to be quite deep, do we really know that they aren't exactly like the ones that form in our bathtubs as they drain? Would a relatively small loss of atmosphere be noticeable? Has anyone tracked Jupiter's mass over time? Do we really know that there aren't a bunch of locked-open stargates down there?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've been fascinated by Jupiter ever since 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm sure many others have been, too. Learning details like this are fascinating, and I think I'll be searching NASA's site this weekend for more detailed information.

5. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

That's the location of the Jovian Parliment

You can see their politicians circling the drain from here.

6. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Pole cyclones: Maybe groups of 13 or 21 when hotter?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like