back to article Ransomware criminals have feelings too: BlackMatter abuse caused crims to shut down negotiation portal

Hurling online abuse at ransomware gangs may have contributed to a hardline policy of dumping victims' data online, according to counter-ransomware company Emsisoft. Earlier this month, the Conti ransomware gang declared it would publish victims' data and break off ransom negotiations if anyone other than "respected journalist …

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Their opinion's obvious, I don't know what I think

"Something else that has troubled Emsisoft, when it comes to ransomware publicity, is decryptors."

As a company which makes money from providing services to people who have been infected, it's unsurprising that they don't welcome free decryptors. They have a point that, if one gets released, it's likely to stop working when one of the criminals locates it. However, if the flaw exists in the code but the person who found it doesn't release a decryptor, then a user has to hope that the company they go to happens to have it. If they go to someone who doesn't, they will think their files can't be decrypted locally and are more likely to pay the ransom. That funds criminals when the reasons are even weaker than usual, and it incentivizes companies to find decryption options and hide them from others so they can get more clients.

This would make for an interesting debate topic. What do you think?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Their opinion's obvious, I don't know what I think

Hmm. By all means claim you have a decryptor, if you have one, and share it; but then make sure the flaw you claim to have exploited to create is described in a way that is both wrong and hopelessly confusing; so that the criminals will find the actual flaw to be hard to find and fix.. :-)

2. Bitsminer Bronze badge

Redefine IoT

Welcome to the Internet of Thugs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Redefine IoT

I thought that was Facebook until the orange blob was booted off?

Never mind. I can't keep up. Have we gone to Mars yet?

:)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021