back to article US drops tariff threat against nations who dished out digital taxes to American tech giants as OECD members hash out new deal

The US government and administrations in Europe have come to an agreement that will drop the threat of tariffs in response to policies on digital services taxes (DSTs). The Department of the Treasury announced the deal would mean Austria, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom could keep their DSTs while multinational …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't mess with American profits. After all, they have the gawd-given RIGHT to bilk the world, don't they? :(

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Actually it's companies everywhere - I expect that the new tax agreement will just result in new paperwork that "shows" the companies made no taxable income locally but moves the income in un-taxed areas. I wonder if a universal tax environment will result in the current corporate giants simply eradicating all potential competitors with facebook style takeovers, worldwide. Is this a new "oven-ready" deal?

2. Snake Silver badge

Don't mess with American profits

Actually, isn't that the idea of the OECD plan in the first place? By dropping the tariff threat, America is agreeing to the taxation, the U.S. government seemed to only have an issue with the previous plan being seen as 'unfair' as only some jurisdictions would impose a corporate tax. This idea could leave many loopholes, especially for local corporations in foreign markets who would not meet the qualifications.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

USA! USA! No 1!

that says it all. If you don't agree then in previous years you might be invaded... sorry Liberated from the evils of fair taxation.

Now? The jury is out. Biden seems to want to work with other nations but when Trump gets back into the Whitehouse in late 2022 all bets are off.

America First is downright scary and is very similar to the America First movement that existed pre WW2.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, lots of small companies then?

I wonder in how many companies Zuck has to slice his asocial enterprise to keep each segment below $750M annual turnover.

I'm sure people who set up shell companies are already rubbing their hands.

3. herman

Google #1 .. #10

Now the big corps will split up into smaller entities based in Pakistan or Nigeria.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like