back to article Better late than never: Microsoft rolls out a public preview of E2EE in Teams calls

Microsoft has finally kicked off the rollout of end-to-end-encryption (E2EE) in its Teams collaboration platform with a public preview of E2EE for one-to-one calls. It has been a while coming. The company made the promise of E2EE for some one-to-one Teams calls at its virtual Ignite shindig in March, and as 2021 nears its end …

1. Michael

Fix Linux support

As I'm forced to use teams for work. I'd be happier with decent Linux support. I'm fed up with having to kill and restart when I change volume or microphone/speaker source. Using 100% CPU when in a call, slowing my machine so that I can't click or type when sharing a screen. E2EE isn't required for my calls, they never bloody work.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: Fix Linux support

I don't get that amount of grief, but the Linux client does seem to be a bit of a beast to the extent that I only fire up the client for video calls, doing everything else in the browser. Video calls don't work in Firefox it seems.

My major bugbear is that on one laptop - and only that one laptop - every time I launch the Teams client it resets my keyboard mapping (from UK to US), and the only way to get it back after quitting the app is to go into the keyboard settings (where it shows the correct setting), change it to something else and then change it back to the correct one.

I mean, just, why?

M.

2. MatthewSt

Limited?

Might have a different definition of limited here, but I'd imagine desktop clients for Windows and Mac, plus Android and iOS covers the vast majority of users

3. ecofeco Silver badge

What an absolute bargle fest of shite

Teams is the probably THE worst program I have had the painful misfortune to have to use in... decades.

It needs to be put out of everyone's misery, yesterday. I've seen dogs eat crayons and... well, you've heard this one before.

1. Bartholomew
      Coat

Re: What an absolute bargle fest of shite

> I've seen dogs eat crayons and...

Were the crayons yellerow ? And was the dog old ?

4. GDM

Wait, hang on...

Wasn't there a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth a while back that Zoom didn't support E2EE so everyone should use something else like Teams instead. Which also didn't support E2EE and only nearly sort of does now but that's fine because [hand waves]. Good, just checking.

5. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Where to Start?

I have to use Teams for my work; we are moving from another functioning application to it for chat. Unfortunately, it is like a lot of MS changes in that it does exactly what the old thing did, but differently, with different menus and slightly different abilities and limitations. Change should be a means to the end of something better but not be a goal in and of itself. As things stand, so many upgrades and new products are just that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like